Help a noob

Sharpy1

In Runtime
Help a noob (Budget build Picking parts)

Hi everyone it's time to upgrade my computer

It's role will be a server that runs 24/7.

My current machine does all these jobs already and I don't have much of a budget as I don't need to replace the machine,

BUDGET : £400 CPU,RAM,PSU,MB

The reasons to upgrade

1) better power efficiency (current machine uses around 100watt idle)
2) Quicker encodes with handbreak
3) Quicker backups and file transfers

The jobs the server runs are

TV Tuner (recording OTA multiple channels)
Backups (all systems on network and itself nightly)
Ripping Media (Music DVD Bluray)
Compressing media (handbreak mostly H264 1080p)
Copying all data from network locations
Running checksums on network stored data
hosts some network shares
Hosts a few virtual machines periodically

I want it to have decent ports for expansions PCI , PCIE eg more tuner cards , USB cards , NIC

The parts I was looking at are as follows
CPU: I3 6100
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133
MB: Gigabyte - GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151
PSU: CSM 650w Gold

Is there better parts to achieve what I want

Last edited:
Re: Help a noob (Budget build Picking parts)

There are always better parts, the thing is, can you afford them?

Tell us what you have right now. Are you using RAID? For what I've read, you'll probably need a good processor and fast RAM, so maybe look into a Kaby Lake processor and some fast DDR4 RAM.

Another thing, don't just judge a PSU by it's efficiency. Look up reviews and such.

Have you read the stickies in the Hardware section? Maybe they'll be of help to you.

If the PSU is not made by Seasonic, Super Flower or Delta it ain't worth buying. :cool:

With such a limited budget, your best bet would probably be upgrading components you have. Like getting the top of the line cpu for your current motherboard, maxing out the ram, and maybe adding an SSD for the operating system at least.

If you're dead set on getting all new hardware, you should look at amd's new offerings. With all the video encoding etc. you do, you'd probably benefit from the increased core count.

What is in your current machine?

With such a limited budget, your best bet would probably be upgrading components you have. Like getting the top of the line cpu for your current motherboard, maxing out the ram, and maybe adding an SSD for the operating system at least.

If you're dead set on getting all new hardware, you should look at amd's new offerings. With all the video encoding etc. you do, you'd probably benefit from the increased core count.

What is in your current machine?
^^ That's better.

Actually one of the newer AMD processors are a much better option than Kaby for you.

PCPartPicker part list

Something like this. Pricing would leave room for a new psu. or if your current psu was re-usable, you could bump up to an 8 core ryzen 1700 for a total of $425... It also leaves room to upgrade the ram & cpu in the future.

Current computer poo

That's why fresh build

CPU: phenom x4 9150e
Mb : stock ASUS board pre built
Ram : 6gb ddr2
No GPU

It was just a spare tower that was lying around and the power draw is annoying me and some of the waiting for copy's ect
That's why a was thinking new build as old parts are a pile of rubbish

The only reason budget so small as anything newer must be better than current setup I would slowly upgrade this computer as needed it's just low to get it off the ground fast

I would select a better CPU too but I'm worried about the MB bios not being upto date and nearer gen CPU not being supported as a don't have a spare CPU to do bios update when I selected a newer CPU pcpartpicker stated compatibility problems due to bios on mb until update

Last edited:
Re: Help a noob (Budget build Picking parts)

So to make things simple: you won't be keeping anything from your old build, because the only thing you can use (the PSU), you don't want to because it's inefficient.

You still didn't say what kind of storage you are running.

Did you read the stickies?

If we don't know what you can use from your old build, we can't be building part lists for nothing. It's a waste of time. Just tell us absolutely everything you have, and what you are willing to recycle. That includes case, storage, PSU, speakers... Ok maybe not speakers, but you get the idea.

Only the 3 standard HDDS and tuner card will be saved for new build

Old system being donated to a freind in need so it needs to be a working system apart from hdd

New case will be a Codegen 4u 500mm deep

Budget is for only CPU,RAM,MB,PSU ONLY

upgrades at another time

I have read some of the stickeys

My storage in the old computer is standard mechanical drives storing backups ect

My main storage is a low power nas

Last edited:
Ok let's get to work then.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T7FqM8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T7FqM8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($155.49 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $405.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-29 14:44 EDT-0400

Maybe the PSU is a bit expensive but it is very good and quite new.

EVGA Supernova G3 750W Review

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

The price is $400, if you can tell us your country it could make it more accurate and in line with your budget. If you can, you should get the processor suggested by Cortb, and maybe think about some more RAM in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom