VM Server

Cortb

In Runtime
I'm not sure this is where it should go, but mods should feel free to move it to a more applicable section.

So, after getting a new ssd, i want to use the old one so i can dual boot. The new one will be standard windows 10 and the old one, i'd like to use to set up a system with multiple instances of windows 10 that can run simultaneously.

I'd like them to run concurrently so that i could use older computers to remote into a vm server and keep using outdated hardware with improved performance.

Where should i start?

I was thinking esxi hypervisor and thats about as far as i got...

Multiple computers sharing the same computer? And considering how inefficient VMs are, are you sure hat would improve performance?

I'm confused. Is it Dual-booting or running VMs that you want?

If you have windows 10 Pro you can use client Hyper-V to run VMs alongside your primary windows install on the SSD. Just choose the HDD as the storage location for the VMs.

If you choose a headless hypervisor such as esxi, you will need to run that on a dedicated machine, seperate from your daily use computer.

what he said:

you can have windows 10, and just add the hypervisor role, or install vmware desktop, or virtual box, qemu (windows version) etc. and run virtual machines as guests on your regular OS, this a type 2 hyper visor.

you could dual boot your regular OS with windows core edition, and have a type 1 (bare metal) hyper visor, this is pretty handy for not having resources used up by a desktop OS, allowing more resources for your VMs, but you won't have a desktop at all. and you need a second workstation to be able to connect you your type 1 hyper visor in order to provision machines on it...

long story short, dual booting for a type 1 hyper visor probably isn't a great idea, the fact that you want a usable OS suggests that you need one, but want to have a competent hyper visor as well. these won't fit well on the same machine.

crazyman- The whole dual boot thing was more of a backup in case i F***ED up something and wanted to go back to the original, or just to play video games on it without the hypervisor.

will client hyper-v work with windows 10 enterprise as well as pro?

amdman - Yes, it would decrease the performance of my main machine, but would increase the performance of the other 3-4 machines i'd be 'replacing' with virtual machines.

ROOT- i think i'm going to go with the level 2 just for starting out. which will give me some practice setting them up and remoting in.

Are there any tutorials or walkthroughs you guys can recommend?
also, going the level 2 route, will i need to have dedicated graphics for each vm? and which end will i need them on? server or client side?

I'd be more worried that something would get screwed up if I tried to set up dual boot. Maybe just make sure you have a current backup first.

Setting up a type 2 hypervisor is pretty simple, and not very dangerous. Basically it's just a program you install and then build the VMs within it. If they get screwed up, you can just delete them and start over.

Yes, Client Hyper-V is part of 10 Enterprise. You just install it as a windows feature:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh846766(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_CLIENT

I like Hyper-V personally, but VirtualBox and the others are good, too.

Got one set up last night, it was pretty easy. Now i just need to look into connecting from different computers. And then making it as easy as possible.

Back
Top Bottom