Linux Question

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
Ok Linux Lovers. I have been thinking about trying out a new OS. I have heard lots about two of them. Linux mint- cinnamon- 64 bit. The other one i am thinking of trying is Feron OS. Its built off the Mint-Cinnamon OS. Think i would try mint first and if i don't like it then the Feron OS and see if i like it better. Anyone using these?? Any others that would be a good one for a windows old-timer? :ermm:

I'm not a huge Linux user but I used mint for a long time then things started happening with Firefox and videos wouldn't play etc. I now use Xubuntu which seems to work much better. The Mint desktop is nicer than Xubuntu IMO but you don't look at the desktop much. I've not tried Feron so I cannot comment.

If you are not sure, stick to the popular stuff, because if you need help with something, you'll get it faster. So Mint, or Ubuntu. I also used Manjaro for a while and really really liked it.

I was warned away from Manjaro. Ubuntu is popular, but i liked the looks of Mint.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

I made a new partition and installed Mint-Cinnamon- 64 bit

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

I put wine in so i could get the weather software to work but nope it won't...

WINE is not perfect and sometimes it takes a while to get stuff working. Maybe you can find something online about your specific software. Also read WINE's documentation and try to understand what it can and can't do.

Did you see every DE Ubuntu has to offer? You shouldn't choose a distro based on looks.

I have checked the weather site and the software don't work with Linux...yet. they are working on the code and software for the weather station. :ermm: so far I like it. It's cool!:thumb: one other thing, is there a way to cut out the constant repeat sign in's. Every time I want to do anything with browser or updating, I have to sign in again! There has.. to be a way!...

Last edited:
There is, it's rather complicated, but you really shouldn't do it. The password is asked whenever root access is required (sort of like administrator rights in Windows). It's for your protection, so the best thing you can do is choose a short password, like "3", which is close to the Enter key. That's what I do at least. But turning it off is not a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom