Linux ( mint ) safe to use via wifi?

frldyz

In Runtime
You hear about all the risk, security and privacy issues when using wifi.

I'll be out of town for a few days on an older ( el cheapo ) laptop that has wifi.
I plan to use the wifi from the place I will be staying @.

I have a laptop that has Win 10, but I plan to try out my Linux Mint that I just downloaded ( its on a boottable USB . I don't intend to install a V.M @ this time )

I subscribe to NordVPN ( It's not yet installed on this laptop ) but I was wondering is Linux Mint safe and private to use right out of the box ( figuratively speaking ) protecting my privacy and data etc...

Or is there a VPN I will want to use.

Most VPNs encrypt your data before it leaves your computer, so even if the network is being inspected, the one inspecting it would only see encrypted stuff.

You should also have a good firewall in place. Mint has one, but it's disabled by default, so enable it and you should be all right.

I've started learning web design and in order to practise I decided to build websites by means of different Unfortunately, I'm not tech savvy, so I'm glad that I've found this thread as I also worry about the security of my computer data. Thanks, guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, as everyone said above- a good VPN/firewall combo and if you wanna be extra careful avoid those open access wifi networks you get on the street and in public places.

Back
Top Bottom