Computer shut down programs random times at night

Wallaby Dan

Fully Optimized
I have a weather station that works on this computer to deliver data to National Weather Service, Weather Underground and a couple of other weather sites. I shut the usbs from being shut off when not being used. The network cannot shut off when dormant. Computer cannot sleep, or not supposed to. What am i missing?? Something is letting the computer shut down the weather software at night. It is random as to when. Never the same time at night but happens only at night when the computer is not being used by anyone else. Last night it was 6:40am, and this morning was 2:40am. What am i missing?? Before when i have this combo it would stay on-line all the time and didn't have random shutdowns other than power outages. I took out the software and reinstalled it. No help. I am running windows 7 64 bit. Sorry for long named title. Any ideas? Never had this happen before except when the monitor went bad. It wouldn't send any info that time. New unit has worked perfect since till now. I hope its not a head unit going bad again.

Check when windows updates, sometimes the PC will shut off due to updates.

Check the task scheduler make sure there is nothing tasked to shut down the pc.

With the variable times, neither one will probably be the issue, but its worth a check.

Check your temps, it could be that the CPU/MOBO is getting to hot and shutting the PC down.. its it a hard shut down, like does windows give you crap?

Check your PSU, it could be a short.

If it was windows updates it will not restart unless i ask it to. I have to tell it to update before it can restart. If the computer would be shut off, The computer would be still off. The computer is still on and the weather software is still showing active. Just not transmitting to weather service. Task manager not showing anything. No scans from anti-virus. I do them manually. Anything else?? I am grasping at straws.:eek:

Dan I'm not sure what the problem could be but do you have a screen saver?

Sometimes when the screen saver kicks in for a long while it might be logging you out and shutting down your programs at night.

It's just a guess, but I would try disabling your screen saver.

If you don't want the computer to shutdown or go in to rest mode use this application to stop the pc going into restmode or shutting down.

https://dlaa.me/blog/post/9901642

it is a great tool and we use it for testing computers overnight when the need to remain on check your power settings that they are not set to make the computer sleep or shutdown after so long you can check this in the power settings but you can't shutdown the pc while running this application it might do the trick let me know what you think and if it works for you.

Kind Regards

Back
Top Bottom