Computer Not Booting

Funny, your motherboard crapped on you while you were in the middle of swapping parts.

Makes you wonder. :ermm:

Funny, your motherboard crapped on you while you were in the middle of swapping parts.

Makes you wonder. :ermm:

Well the things is.. I think it may have been to do with me Overclocking and stressing the motherboard.. as it isn't the best board for Overclocking. I'd been trying to overclock my GPUs voltage which every program wouldn't allow except one outdated Sapphire Trixx.. (for some reason).. any change in voltage caused screen flickering and then a crash. On top of the fact I incorrectly bricked one of them.. so it definitely has something to do with me messing around! Lesson learnt :)

Well, this is just speculation but:-

GPUs do draw some power through the PCI-E socket. Obviously, they also get most of their power directly from the PSU; but they do take 60-75W through the PCI-E socket.

Once you allow a program (any program) to have a level of control over your GPU's core voltage, all bets are off really as to what damage can be done to any component that is connected to that GPU. The reason I only use Afterburner for overclocking is because I have at least some level of trust for it!

The other thing is to understand how PCs 'start up' - essentially when you press the power button there is a voltage 'spike' to wake stuff up, before it comes down to the correct level for operation.

Anyway, all that in mind - I'd theorise that one of two things happened:-

1. Whilst working in the case, something got a static shock.
2. When your GPU BIOS went funny or when you were adjusting vcore in trixx and rebooted, the 'wake up' voltage spike (which usually comes through the mobo if i'm not very much mistaken) was too high for the PCI-E slot to handle and it overloaded mobo power delivery.

I have a feeling you're right about the PICE slot... as when I bricked one of the GPUS .. the GPU BIOS was designed for a higher voltage I believe... and that's probably what screwed it over!

My guess is a electrostatic discharge. The components can take a lot of voltage, so unless you really went too far, the spike wouldn't have killed it. On the other hand, electrostatic discharges can have a lot of voltage (I'm not sure how much exactlybut it was in the range of thousands).

The voltage spike is also a problem when overclocking the CPU. Some motherboards shut down and turn on after applying some BIOS settings, so if you go too far with the voltage you'll just fry the CPU, or the board, so look out for that.

My guess is a electrostatic discharge. The components can take a lot of voltage, so unless you really went too far, the spike wouldn't have killed it. On the other hand, electrostatic discharges can have a lot of voltage (I'm not sure how much exactlybut it was in the range of thousands).

The voltage spike is also a problem when overclocking the CPU. Some motherboards shut down and turn on after applying some BIOS settings, so if you go too far with the voltage you'll just fry the CPU, or the board, so look out for that.

GPU die can take a buttload of voltage, but if the initial 'spike' required to turn the GPU on was too high for the PCI-E slot to handle it could in theory damage mobo power delivery. Depends on how robust the motherboard's mosfets are really, obviously CPU power delivery tends to be beefed up to all hell for supporting CPUs with beefy TDPs, but the PCI-E slots are only intended to handle a wattage of something like 70W before it hits a limiter and the PSU has to drive any additional power the card wants.

I'm no engineer, but i've not seen ESD kill a board so outright so quickly, I've seen it stop machines POSTing because of DRAM death or the like, but not fully bricked power delivery

This theory is born of watching one of my fav techtubers accidentally murder a CPU by rebooting it with the Vcore set to around 1.6v - the 'spike' above the running level to turn it on totally cooked it.

GPU die can take a buttload of voltage, but if the initial 'spike' required to turn the GPU on was too high for the PCI-E slot to handle it could in theory damage mobo power delivery. Depends on how robust the motherboard's mosfets are really, obviously CPU power delivery tends to be beefed up to all hell for supporting CPUs with beefy TDPs, but the PCI-E slots are only intended to handle a wattage of something like 70W before it hits a limiter and the PSU has to drive any additional power the card wants.

I'm no engineer, but i've not seen ESD kill a board so outright so quickly, I've seen it stop machines POSTing because of DRAM death or the like, but not fully bricked power delivery

This theory is born of watching one of my fav techtubers accidentally murder a CPU by rebooting it with the Vcore set to around 1.6v - the 'spike' above the running level to turn it on totally cooked it.
Was it by any chance Jayztwocents overclocking his 8320 and beating the 7100?

Since pcie slots are designed for low power, and they have a power limit, current will be low no matter the voltage, so burning stuff would be very hard. Now CPUs sockets, as you said, are prepared to go the extra mile, meaning power caps at pretty high levels, so current can get high.

I'm no computer/electronic engineer either, but I know resistances and transistors can handle voltage as long as currents stay withing expected levels, but not that much heat.

Now this is probably all crap, but don't leave [emoji14]

If the power is limited to 70w, then you'd have xV.yI=70W, so the voltage(x) raising a couple of mV won't cause a huge variation current(i)-wise. If the power is not limited, then I'm not sure.

I don't know if that sarcasm or not. :rolleyes:

My point is the gold wires are microscopic and that it doesn't take much to break connections.

Back
Top Bottom