hard shutdowns

If it's not random, it's probably not heat.
If it's not random, it's probably not a failing part.

I would check to make sure your not getting hidden blue screens.
Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > (In pop-up, under Startup and Recovery) Settings > Uncheck Automatically Restart (if checked)

Check scheduled tasks
Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Task Scheduler > Task Scheduler Library

If any task is kicking off after 10p, disable it for now.

Check Windows Updates as it could be an update that continues to fail, thus needing rollback, thus prompting shutdown, perhaps failing

--

Issues like this are never pleasant to hunt down, but the lack of random timing (IMHO) indicates a logical process that is at the root of your troubles.

Ok, I did all that and killed the Task Scheduler Library. Nothing in Device Manager Is set to shut off. All the usb's are set never to shut down. Thats in Power Management. Computer is set to Not sleep. The usb, and sleep have been that way ever since i set up the weather station. SO... We will see what happens tonight! I hope that stops it. :hide:

Sometimes I've seen problems like this due to sticking power/reset buttons.

Don't know but it stayed on all last night! I had it set to never sleep or hibernate. The usb's were also stopped from shutting down in there power management. Its been that way since i installed the weather station. I don't know if changing the settings in the task manager did it or if we did have power outage. Guess i will have to wait and see.

I feel like you would've mentioned this if it was, but are any of your components overclocked?

Hard shut-downs happen sometimes if you have manual voltage control enabled on a CPU or a GPU if the voltage is not set high enough for the clockspeeds.

Other possibility is a dirty PSU, dust can become conductive is sufficient quantity and cause shorts inside the unit. A good clean never goes amiss.

The best way to eliminate a 'hard setting' being the issue is to factory reset your BIOS configuration and see if the issue goes away. A lot of 'sleep' state settings are set at the BIOS levels, such as C1E and C states.

Last edited:
I don't overclock this old board. Since i cleared out the task manager i haven't had any issues since. My new board is supposed to come here today. More fun in the sun.

Looking forward to it. :cool:

Remember to take your time on it. Haste makes waste. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom