Is This PSU Compatible With This Motherboard?

datkins91

In Runtime
I'm looking to buy the 'Corsair RMx Series RM1000X' PSU.

I have an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 motherboard.

Will this be okay? The only reason I ask is because the motherboard manual states it has a 'ATX 12v (ATX12V1)' power connector.

A quick response would be much appreciated!

Yes, they are compatible.

By the way, do you already own that motherboard or are you planning on buying it?

Thanks AMD.

It's one I already have. Why's that? I'm assuming you'd be recommending a different one if I was buying.. for which reason might I ask?

any 'ATX' power supply is compatible with any 'ATX' (or MicroATX) motherboard :)

You may also see 'SFX' power supplies, these are small form factor physically but will still work with an ATX or ITX motherboard 99% of the time.

Depends what you're doing obviously, but unless you're operating a massive overclock and a top-end GPU or SLI/Crossfire you can probably save some money with a lower wattage variant of the same PSU. 650-750W of Corsair 80PLUS gold power is fine for 80% of systems.

Thanks AMD.

It's one I already have. Why's that? I'm assuming you'd be recommending a different one if I was buying.. for which reason might I ask?
Basically because the platform is outdated, not because it's a bad motherboard, on the contrary, it's a really good one, but AM3+ is too old to be investing in it today. If you already have an AM3+ setup then it's perfect.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Depends what you're doing obviously, but unless you're operating a massive overclock and a top-end GPU or SLI/Crossfire you can probably save some money with a lower wattage variant of the same PSU. 650-750W of Corsair 80PLUS gold power is fine for 80% of systems.

That. I forgot to ask.

On that^ note, benchmarks have shown that the FX8xxx CPUs are really not competitive anymore since the launch of Ryzen 5. The 8350 benches so far below even the R5-1500X in most workloads it's not really even worth considering buying one now.

Thanks for the input guys.

My main reason for getting it is because I'm running 2 x 290Xs in Crossfire.. which I've been told probably has limited it's performance potential by quite a bit as they're currently running on a 10 year old or so 600/650W PSU.

Plus.. if I upgrade further components in future I know I've already invested in a good PSU so I needn't worry about it in future as I can use for the next build!

What do you guys think?

PS I have an FX8350 Black Edition.. so I can look to overclocker her now!

Thanks for the input guys.

My main reason for getting it is because I'm running 2 x 290Xs in Crossfire.. which I've been told probably has limited it's performance potential by quite a bit as they're currently running on a 10 year old or so 600/650W PSU.

Plus.. if I upgrade further components in future I know I've already invested in a good PSU so I needn't worry about it in future as I can use for the next build!

What do you guys think?

PS I have an FX8350 Black Edition.. so I can look to overclocker her now!
Overclocking depends on your cooler and motherboard too. You motherboard is good though.

Give us a list of all your components.

Overclocking depends on your cooler and motherboard too. You motherboard is good though.

Give us a list of all your components.

I can't remember the CPU cooler off the top of my head.. but it's a very popular one used for over clocking I know for sure.

8gb Dual Channel DDR3 (Corsair)
1 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120gb
2 x SATA Hard Drives (500gb & 300gb)
2 x 1200RPM 120mm intake fans
1 x 3000RPM (or more?) 120mm output fan
FX8350 Black Edition currently @4.2GHz
2x 290Xs Crossfire
990FX Extreme 3 motherboard

But overall I feel the PSU would benefit the system and can certainly be used for a future upgrade?

Edit: my current PSU is a Corsair TX650

Last edited:
I can't remember the CPU cooler off the top of my head.. but it's a very popular one used for over clocking I know for sure.

8gb Dual Channel DDR3 (Corsair)
1 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120gb
2 x SATA Hard Drives (500gb & 300gb)
2 x 1200RPM 120mm intake fans
1 x 3000RPM (or more?) 120mm output fan
FX8350 Black Edition currently @4.2GHz
2x 290Xs Crossfire
990FX Extreme 3 motherboard

But overall I feel the PSU would benefit the system and can certainly be used for a future upgrade?

Edit: my current PSU is a Corsair TX650
Huh...

400W for the cards, 150W for the 8350 (overclocked), 50W the motherboard, plus RAM, drives, fans... That should be around 700W... I think you can get away with a 800W-850W PSU. Getting a higher quality, lower wattage PSU is the best choice, if you agree that it would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom