mac hardware advice

Cortb

In Runtime
Not sure if this forum is staunchly PCMR, but im looking for some solid hardware advice on a 2007 mac mini. im looking to upgrade the gpu. i already have my plan b (external gpu in a little case) worked out, but i need some help with plan a which would be putting one inside.

specifically, im looking for a place i can siphon about 2.5 amps of 12v power, internally. anybody know where i could, or if there is another forum i should post this on.

so, i know there are probably a few questions people have, like:

q) why do you even want to do this? you could buy much better stuff that isn't a decade old! a)because i can. yeah, i know, my personal rig is a ryzen, this isn't about money. this was the first computer i ever bought.

q) the mac mini has integrated graphics, you know there's no way to upgrade that right? a) wrong, i'm going to use the mini pcie port with a converter and a pcie x1 gpu. yes, they do make gpus in x1 cards. mini pcie doesn't have 12v, which is why i'm here.

q) you know the throughput on a mini pcie port is going to bottleneck the gpu right? a) yeah, and i don't care, it will still be sooooo much better than the gma950 this is in there.

and no, i don't have any qualms about cracking it open, i've done it 3 times now when upgrading the ram, cpu and ssd. i would prefer not to have to solder, but i'm not completely against it.

I would think you'd get a better response asking your questions in a Mac oriented forum. As you stated, this forum is pretty much PCMR oriented.

Sounds like an interesting project though.

I figured as much, thanks all the same! i'll post some photos, if i ever get it done...

a 2007 mac mini
no, i don't have any qualms about cracking it open, i've done it 3 times now when upgrading the ram, cpu and ssd.

@Cortb - Mac Mini owner here. Yeah sorry i can't help you out but if I were you and if my computer was under warranty, I would send it back to Mac to take care of it. Don't go to local unofficial Mac places. Great for PC but Mac is a completely different animal. If its not under warranty, I would back up everything and still send it to mac and buy a refurbished one. They will add a little $$ from your Mac to so you can save a little. Keep us posted.

lmao, i'm waaaay out of warranty. even if they did warrant a 10 year old device, it has a cpu that apple never sold, more ram than they ever put into this mini, and an ssd which definitely weren't in macs a back then.

Though, if i did have one under warranty, i'd totally take it back to apple.

It's the t7600, I got it for $20 on eBay like a year ago. Ironically it was originally too expensive for this Apple product. It's the highest clock speed chip for the m socket on the early Intel minis. ifixit.com has a load of step by step instructions on upgrades like that. Only took an hour, and it runs pretty smooth. Aside from the graphics. Which is why I want to upgrade to a discrete card (see op)

Even after your upgrade it will be terrible compared to anything now. I'd put it away and save it if you have a sentimental attachment but not try to make it anything decent. It never will be that again as it's time is past.
I understand the attachment, I still have my Altair and a timex Sinclair. I don't plan on upgrading them to compete with a new system though.

It is honestly pretty snappy after the upgrades I already made, it just doesn't have the hardware video decoding for online services like Netflix and YouTube. It plays locally stored bluray 1080 files without a hitch, but trying to decode newer html5/h265 is pretty taxing on the cpu. At this point it's just a media center computer and it does its job well, as long as you're ok with 720p for streaming.

This is just a 'because I can' project. While you may not upgrade your Sinclair, I'm sure there is a group of people out there that do, even though it's like 35 years old. Like this guy who is modding the video out on his zx81:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5OQuJ-GMwF4

Kinda similar to what I'm going for, just on an older computer... ;)

You asked for advice my advice is don't think money into Old Hardware that isn't going to perform like new hardware just buy the new hardware it's not that expensive.

Back
Top Bottom