Color hate

Also please read and understand the sentences before making statements like HOT WATER. because if you noticed i said "ill give an example". Its also a good life habit to not( assume ) things.

you can wiretap your own network in order to keep it running and protect it against hackers. There is a lengthy academic paper that discusses this in more details: http://spot.colorado.edu/~sicker/publications/issues.pdf

Yea... you should read it sometime.

Subsection 2
Several Federal laws prohibit or restrict network monitoring and the sharing of records of network activity such as logfiles. These laws are designed to protect online privacy. They apply both to private parties and government agents, although the details vary depending on who is doing the
monitoring. None of these laws contain any specific exceptions or safe harbors for scientific or academic research.
[...]
monitoring packets to look for an intruder, sniff out a virus, or locate a bot, is probably justified as necessary to protect the network.

Tip: The verbiage here is extremely important.

Once you're done reading that paper in length, you need to brush up on Federal law.

18 U.S. Code § 2511 - Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or electronic communications prohibited
source

(1) Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter any person who—
(a) intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication;
[...]
(c) intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection;
(d) intentionally uses, or endeavors to use, the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection; or

shall be punished as provided in subsection (4) or shall be subject to suit as provided in subsection (5).

[...]
(4)
(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection or in subsection (5), whoever violates subsection (1) of this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

You broke laws when you used information you found in the monitoring of your network that did not belong to you and intentionally disclosed it (e.g. renaming wireless networks to information gathered during the network monitoring). You just violated a user's right to privacy which is federally protected in that instance.

WEPblaster said:
because if you noticed i said "ill give an example".

Oh I noticed what you said. Example =/= hypothetical

WEPblaster said:
Also please read and understand the sentences before making statements like HOT WATER

I wish I could find the case right now, but a judge in Utah issued a search warrant based on a post someone made to a website. Now the preponderance of evidence required for a search warrant is much less than what is required for an arrest warrant, but based on the evidence obtained from the search, the defendant was tried and sentenced to a prison term. His downfall was a post about being a hacker.

Please read and understand the law before you reference a single research paper (which has many self-documented unknowns as to the law) as if that provides carte blanche.

It's interesting that you took my words as offensive and felt the need to defend. If anything, I'm doing you a huge favor in trying to show you how deep the pool actually is, and you're trying to explain it has a shallow end and your floaties will do just fine. There's a lot more to it than you apparently grasp at this moment and you should really be more careful. So take some advice.

In closing;
Fair enough but lets keeps the responses backed up with fact checking.

I couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
If you talk about being a hacker in public to a group of complete strangers you ate either A- Not a hacker but just a kid trying to sound cool or B- not going to be a hacker for long.
Either way, goodbye.

I now work in law enforcement and can say with a certain amount of certainty that the number one thing that separates the cases we can prosecute from the cases that go unsolved is whether or not the criminal talked about his crime. That's not always true of course, but it's a good thing to keep in mind. Posting on a public forum that you killed your wife is probably going to get you caught with the quickness.

Just a thought... Shouldn't we be encouraging the hackers to talk about their hacking instead of shutting them down? Would make it easier to catch the little rascals, right?

We should give him a medal and call the FBI. LOL

Just a thought... Shouldn't we be encouraging the hackers to talk about their hacking instead of shutting them down? Would make it easier to catch the little rascals, right?

We should give him a medal and call the FBI. LOL

It's not hard to track a person on the Internet, there is a trail of breadcrumbs to follow.

Except the ones that are worth catching aren't posting anything.

The ones who are posting are probably kids thinking it's cool and would only have their lives ruined for some stupid post.

Imagine if we had smart phones when we were kids. Now imagine how much you may not have gotten away with. Now you can't say "Oh I'd be fine!"
Most people break laws every single day and are completely unaware they broke a law, but imagine a snitch turned in a video and something you did as a child, as a joke or play, turns into a court case against you. Would you understand? Both what you did and why this was happening?

The ones who are posting are probably kids thinking it's cool and would only have their lives ruined for some stupid post.

Imagine if we had smart phones when we were kids. Now imagine how much you may not have gotten away with. Now you can't say "Oh I'd be fine!"
Most people break laws every single day and are completely unaware they broke a law, but imagine a snitch turned in a video and something you did as a child, as a joke or play, turns into a court case against you. Would you understand? Both what you did and why this was happening?
No argument here. I agree. Also, my comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I know Anonymous is not gonna comment here [emoji14]

I don't think that most people or the majority of people are lawbreakers intentionally or unintentionally but I do think there are a lot of people who don't care about the laws including the illegal aliens who broke the laws to even get here in the first place and wouldn't care about the laws once they're here. But I think the majority of people follow the laws and I think most people know what the laws are in spirit if not by letter.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

No argument here. I agree. Also, my comment wasn't meant to be taken seriously. I know Anonymous is not gonna comment here [emoji14]

Everyone who posts here does it anonymously. My guess is that your birth certificate doesn't say AMD man either.

Back
Top Bottom