Slave and Master sata drives how to?

Well, I guess this thing won't play nice with two hard drives. I ended up replacing the driver package to get sound back. The auto config of the Acer manager keeps auto config for some reason. Video seems ok though. Didn't seem to slow the computer down so i think it did no major damage. Don't think i want to try that again. Could do some real damage if i do. Still don't know why it did that...:confused:
Just because there is no slave/master relationship that doesn't prevent you from installing 2 (or more) SATA drives in your computer. Only 1 of those drives will be designated as the boot drive so drivers and such will only load from it. Additional drives will be for data.

Sounds like maybe you took a boot drive from another computer and tried to boot from it, that usually spells trouble.

It was a older sata i had. Smaller too. Seems i had formatted that drive too. Anyway i tried it again anyway. this time i used sata4. For whatever reason it works so maybe sata 2 is bad. I put in Karens Replicator and it has been backing up everything since. So it didn't blow up the computer this time. :hide:
Back before when i had two drives with ide one was windows xp in it and the other had windows 7 on it. Don't know if it would let me put say 7 on the one and 10 on the other. Might confuse it to much?:eek: Anyway i am happy to have a backup. One other question. Dvd/Cds can use the other two right? I have two older units right now and am thinking about getting a blue-ray and dvd so i can continue burning music and save it. Also pictures. I sometimes do two burns at the same time. I am worried about using sata port 2 but it maybe was just a fluke. :whistling: Anyway its fun taking a old mb and getting it to do things it was never supposed to do:D At least till i can rebuild this tower!

Some motherboards use different controllers for SATA II and SATA III, sometimes the SATA III controller can be disabled which would mean you can't use those ports until the controller is enabled. An off the wall but plausible point!

Typically the board will work through from SATA-0 to STA-1 to SATA-2 etc checking for a boot drive. Master/Slave doesn't come into it with SATA drives.

SAYA drives can be accessed simultaneously so there is no need for a slave and master designation. I have 6 drives in my evert day system, 3 are SSD and 3 HDD. I also have a PCIe ssd. The computer can access them simultaneously without any problems.

If i do a restart will it ask which drive i want to boot or will it just pick one? I would like to have windows 10 on one and windows 7 on another. And then one for backup. I understand that i can pick the drive from my main screen with windows explorer. I am doing that now. Can i pick which one from Bios or will it come up with a screen after bios that will show the two different os? Asking which one i want to boot from?

It will pick whichever is first in the boot order. This is typically the drive in slot SATA-0.

I'm afraid I don't have much experience in running two OS's on two separate drives as I've only ever installed them on the same drive, different partition.

You can either:
1. Have a dual boot menu, shared boot.ini file, and select the OS to boot from a list
2. Install the two operating systems separately (plug in one drive, install OS, unplug that one then plug in another drive, install the second OS on there, then plug both in to your PC), and then tap "F9" or whatever the boot option key is to select which hard drive to use.

for about 5 years now i have been looking for a complete manual for my motherboard. It's a A8n-la motherboard but asus wouldn't give me any information on that board as it was made by asus for HP/Compaq. I ran across this on a google search when i was looking for something for debs computer. A8N-sli. Its the "Book" i have been wanting. 88 pages makes it a book right? Anyway it has settings and connections and other info i will be needing when i transfer to new case. While i was scanning the pages i noticed this. Maybe this is why i had issue with back-up drive?? Shot below. Looks like they had some kind of slave/master even in sata. and i also found out that its a sata 3mb connections. I was always guessing on that part. Hp gave 5 pages that was so basic i couldn't do much of anything but guess. This is maybe why i had to use sata 4 for the slave drive??:eek:

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 07 13.24.jpg
    ScreenHunter_02 Apr. 07 13.24.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 4
Putting crappy old computer components into a nice shiny new case will give you a nice shiny looking crappy old computer.

Yep, But the next motherboard will be a core 2 quad with 8 gigs of ram....just another crappy pos! But i don't need all the new stuff and ..I can't afford it!! :D
It will be along time before i do any other upgrades. if ever......:rolleyes:

If you don't need a computer, why are you doing all this?

Are you a student or have kids that are? Are you getting any assistance?
You don't need to answer that here obviously, but there is a program if you are:
http://everyoneon.org/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom