Can my power supply handle this graphics card?

From my understanding;
  • The 7950 takes two 6 pin power connectors
  • Your PSU has only one
Therefore:
  • You need an additional 6 pin power connector
The one I linked above will take power from two Molex connectors and provide power to a single 6 pin. If you have two Molex available, that should do the trick.

Last edited:
From my understanding;
  • The 7950 takes two 6 pin power connectors
  • Your PSU has only one
Therefore:
  • You need an additional 6 pin power connector
The one I linked above will take power from two Molex connectors and provide power to a single 6 pin. If you have two Molex available, that should do the trick.
How do I know if I have two molex available? Sorry for all the trouble but I'm clueless, thank you very much for your help so far.

How do I know if I have two molex available? Sorry for all the trouble but I'm clueless, thank you very much for your help so far.

Pop open the case and see if there are two of these available to use the adapter.
310qH6Pz-tL.jpg

Pop open the case and see if there are two of these available to use the adapter.
310qH6Pz-tL.jpg

these are the only things I see that aren't plugged into anything, baring in mind that my old 6850 card is still plugged in

Attachments

• 17619330_1251568531558158_834118639_n.jpg
    17619330_1251568531558158_834118639_n.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 1
Just so you know, posts by newer members containing links go to review first. So if you post and don't see it, that's why. A mod has to approve... helps us keeps the spammers at bay.

Those two similar ones are molex. If you look at the adapter I linked, that's exactly what you need to plug in that video card (and the other 6-pin).

Just so you know, posts by newer members containing links go to review first. So if you post and don't see it, that's why. A mod has to approve... helps us keeps the spammers at bay.

Those two similar ones are molex. If you look at the adapter I linked, that's exactly what you need to plug in that video card (and the other 6-pin).

Gotcha, you've been extremely thankful, cheers

Multiple rails is like splitting up the circuit in your house if I'm honest. Personally I think it should be fine.

Your graphics card requires 30A on the 12V rail and your PSU provides 18A on 12V1 and 18A on 12V2 which should be more than sufficient. OCZ is a reasonable brand so it shouldn't be a problem.

The only questionable part of this would be using an adapter to get your second PCI-E 6 pin plug. I used a dual molex to PCI-E 8 pin plug for a while and it worked fine, but there doesn't seem to be an overall consensus online as to how good these adapters actually are... however, if you're looking to use an adapter, then you'd be looking for a "Dual Molex to PCI-E 6 pin" adapter. Avoid the single molex variants as these won't be capable of providing the 6 pin plug with sufficient power under heavy use. Molex only supply up to approximately 60W, whereas PCI-E 6 pin can provide up to 75W.

EDIT: Ah, didn't read the second page, my apologies.

Last edited:
Cheers! Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Update: I've installed the card and everything seems to be working correctly, however I have noticed my CPU got up to 97 degrees celsius while playing some of the more demanding games. It stayed at a steady 75-80 when playing the new resident evil however. When not playing any games it hits about 60-65 degrees, I'm not sure if it was like that before. Is there anything I could do excluding buying a new fan to improve this high temperature? The GPU doesn't get this hot, hits about 80 at the demanding games

Back
Top Bottom