Upgrading to Windows 10

Just a update: I did upgrade 2 laptops and this does work.

Just a note: When you are upgrading you do not have to put in a product key, and when it's all installed....It will activate automatically when you go on-line.

I now have a digital licence with both laptops, and I can re-install Windows 10 anytime i want.

Yeah but the product number of the OS that you are upgrading from must be valid and be registered on the Microsoft upgrade website as a valid product number. Some issues with Windows 7 product numbers were causing problems initially. I do not know whether those issues have been addressed yet. Of course if the computer has UEFI bios then that is not an issue as the product number is stored in the BIOS. I think thats the way it works. I know that I have had some problems when upgrading from Windows 7 in the past when some upgrades would not validate.

Well so far so good, I'm starting to like Windows 10. I'm not to fancy on liking the live tiles so I'm using Classic Shell to make them go away. Also I have to say that I am impressed by how fast in boots up.

I like the start tiles, to me it like having all your desktop shortcuts tucked neatly out of the way but still very accessible.

To use the link that mr mix posted, you need to tell a little lie by saying you need Win 10 for "Assistive technologies" use.

There's actually no reason to lie or use the "Assistive technologies" website to get Windws 10. If you go to the regular Windows 10 download site and download it or install it from there, as long as you have a valid Win 7 or Win 8 key to enter, Windows 10 will activate. I did this about a week ago to upgrade my daughter's Surface Pro from Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I also used it recently to create a new Windows 10 VM from scratch (clean install).

The only upgrade route that MS has stopped letting people use is the annoying GWX route that bugged people about upgrading and even forced the upgrade on some users.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom