Weird CPU Temps, help!

Sapper13

Solid State Member
A few months ago I got an oldish PC that I wanted the CPU out of, took it and the motherboard out, tested it, worked fine. Had a look at the CPU temps and they would fluctuate quickly from 37-39-40 and would do weird things like that. Try and run a game or anything and temps would go to 78 very quickly. The CPU in question is a Intel I5-2400. I got a new motherboard and a new CPU cooler and still have the same results. Whats going on?!

Cheers guys!

Bad thermal interface will allow rapid fluctuations by not having a high enough effectiive mass.could be to much or too little thermal paste. Could have gaps or too great a distance between the cpu and heatsink.
You are not getting proper conduction or you have a bad cpu core.

I have taken the Cooler off 3 times, reapplying the paste using the pea method, but every time I've gotten the same results. Had the same thing happen with the stock cooler

What is the paste you're using? And how big a pea size? What you need is a paper thin layer on the contact area.

Instead of using a pea method, spread 'em thin.

Using Cooler Master paste, a smallish pea, would be a paper thin covering on the CPU. I was sorta thinking inaccurate readings, but I'm not sure how

Core Speed Multiplier Bus Speed Temperature Threads
Core 0 3308.7 MHz x 33.0 100.3 MHz 34 °C APIC ID: 0
Core 1 1604.2 MHz x 16.0 100.3 MHz 34 °C APIC ID: 2
Core 2 3308.7 MHz x 33.0 100.3 MHz 37 °C APIC ID: 4
Core 3 1604.2 MHz x 16.0 100.3 MHz 37 °C APIC ID: 6

Back
Top Bottom