Power supply issue

chris0147

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I need your help, I have a small problem with my power supply. It has got 20 pin to plug onto the motherboard and I need to have 24 pin to plug onto the motherboard. I have got a 12v power supply with 500 watts with 20 pin.

However, I have been advised to get a new power supply with 12v and 350 minmum requirement to be safe.

So I am thinking about to get adapter 20 pin to 24 pin to see if it would work so I could plug them onto the motherboard. Would it cause any harm to the motherboard if I get adapter cable?

Do you think it is a good idea to get adapter cable or if I should get another power supply?

I don't think I would need to get another power supply, because you have only change the watts and the cable, nothing is else.

The motherboard I have got is AsRock 980DE3/U3S3.

Thanks in advance

Thanks for your quick reply and thanks for your advise Pete.

Do you know where I can find the power supply with 24 pin?

I need the power supply to have on and off switch at the back so if I have any problem I could switch it off at the back of the power supply.

atx power supply 500w | eBay

They are as little as £17 odd. I only use cheap ones and have never had a problem others on here will advise to get a stupidly expensive one and if you are a gamer they may well be right. I think most and possibly all power supplies come as 24 pin these days. A rear switch is slightly useful but you can always pull the plug out. It does the same thing. Again I think most, if not all, have a switch.

Thank you for your advise.

Ok here is the specs:

1x ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0 Motherboard
1x Nvidia Geforce GT 730 GDDR5
1x AMD FX-6300
2x Corsair 4GB DDR3 Ram
1x DVD RWrite
1x SSD 240GB Hard drive
1x Western Digital 250GB IDE
1x Hitachi Deskstar 320GB IDE
1x DeepCool Gammaxx 400 CPU Cooler PWM Fan with blue LED
1x 80mm blue led fan
1x 120mm blue led fan

The minmium watt it say that I would need at least 331 watt, according to outervision website.

So that mean I would need 350 watt of power supply would be enough for me to run with full of power?

If so, could you please help me with find the power supply with 24 pin power connector that go on the motherboard, 3 x sata cable or more, 2 x IDE cable or more that come with on/off switch at the back of the power supply??

I have some trouble looking for the right power supply with 24 pin as most of the power supply come with 20+4 pin so I would need your help with getting the power supply that come with 24 pin. :)

Very nice but I dont need specs. I gave you a UK Ebay link they sell the same stuff on US Ebay or you could go to your local friendly computer fixer upper. if you really want expensive then go to PC World. Everything is made in China take your pick pay a lot or not. They are all the same. As I said I always buy cheap and not had a problem but I'm not a gamer. Cooling is your friend make sure whatever you buy has it's own dedicated fan and if you are a gamer them then ensure your case has as much cooling as you can ram in.

Back
Top Bottom