Which Kind of PSU?

Close call, eh?

Not sure if games (with their crazy sizes these days, hehe) utilize the speed of SSD's especially well for the bang for the buck. So again, only if you're okay with paying more, go for it. I personally use it for the OS and page filing, and fast HDD's for the games and the rest (in a total of ~14TB here). There is also a faster variants of SSD if you're interested and willing to pay more; PCIe SSD and M.2 SSD.

Are you saying you're gonna use 2 GTX 1080's and 1 GTX Titan Z? Any specific reason for that? Cuz to my humble knowledge, they don't have a combination value. On a side note, it's old and got superseded with Titan X Pascal. 2 1080's outperform 1 Titan Z or X, but games that do not support SLI or worry you would run out of VRAM, are better off with 1 Titan Z/X. Is this what you have on mind?

As for the PSU, the AX1500i could be the only choice you actually have if you are fixed for the 3 GPU's above. The Titan X Pascal uses less power, by the way, tho it is faster (and more expensive in a way many criticize) making bringing a choice of 1200W to the discussion.

Yes, more power is better. I just thought you might be interested in saving some money that won't make a difference if payed. But of course willing to pay = why not go for it. I follow the same approach too, haha. I personally own a 1000W PSU and ~650W of it used, cuz I was willing to pay (and since I thought maybe I'd SLI in the future, which I didn't).

Last edited:
I have a 32g SSD as a cache drive. Suits me just fine. SSDs speeds up read and write and nothing else so no impact on performance except for wait times.

Not really. The PSU draws from the wall regardless of how much you use so the higher the wattage the more it draws.

In the exact same amount as what the PSU is rated? Is that the case in sleeping mode and power saving plans too? If so, any idea what good are the power saving plans?

I see...

What's the point of saving on the DC side then if what really counts is the AC side; i.e. what affects the bill?

What about the other question:
In the exact same amount as what the PSU is rated?
More or less, of course. I don't mean exact exact same amount.

Last edited:
As to 80% efficiency you're getting 80% of the wall wattage.

As to the energy savings; that's to extend the life of the components in the PC.

As to what PSU to get; figure all the wattage of the components and add 20-30% to get total wattage.

For example, using a 1000 watt PSU to run a 350 watt system is wasting a lot of electricity and you're paying for it.

If you don't mind paying for it (or your parents are paying for it, you brat) then never mind. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Got it :D

One more last question: why does a laptop battery drain depending on the intensity of usage and not a fixed time?

Wait, you're a mechanic, not an electrician!

That's ok, I'm an electronic buff. :cool:

Beside wattage we have voltage and amperage. Volt is the speed of the electrons and the ampere is the power/capacity of the electrons.

Watt = volt x ampere

The more you use the battery the more the voltage drops and so does amperage. Ampere is the power to run things so when you lose ampere you lose capacity and power.

Just 0.5 volt drop makes the battery go dead.because the amperage is spent.

Back
Top Bottom