Cannot set a password for Internet Explorer

Giordano Bruno

Solid State Member
I currently have no password protection for Internet Explorer 11. I am trying to set one and have "RunDll32.exe msrating.dll,RatingSetupUI" then in Content Advisor > General >Create Password I have a form requiring "Password", "Confirm Password" and "Hint".
When I enter a password and confirm it, I receive the message "The password you typed in is incorrect". This makes no sense to me as I am not trying to change a password. I've tried various complex and simple passwords, but the result is always the same.
Does anyone have any ideas what I should do next?

The password feature of internet explorer is very limited and you would probably have better luck with a different solution. Why are you trying to set the password?

You could use something like OpenDNS if you want to block or allow certain websites for protection. They offer a free tier that is decent. There are also some parental control apps that will allow more granular control of web content. Is that what you're trying to do?

Thanks for your reply crazyman. No, I don't want to block websites. My concern is that someone else may be using my internet connexion as I seem to use up my download allowance rather too quickly and I want to make access to the internet available only via a password. Perhaps I was trying to do this the wrong way.
Do you have any suggestions?

There is this app for 30 bucks that is supposed to allow you to set a password to access the internet. Here's the link.

Here's a free app that's supposed to allow you to password protect any exe file. I guess you could use this to password protect iexplore.exe, but there's a risk of messing up your system doing that. Here's the link for that one.

Or, a more complex way might be to create a local security policy to prevent other users of the PC from using IE.

Personally I'd just set a password on my account and not give it to anyone.

Hi crazyman. Very many thanks for the reply and the trouble you have gone to to set me on the right path. Very much appreciated.

Hi Giordano,

Are you aware of anybody else using your computer?
What is your internet allowance for the month?
What do you typically use the internet for? Videos? Music?
Do you use a wired internet or wireless?

Waste of time passwording a browser, change the password in your modem / router. Also change the default wifi password if you have wifi.

Hi joedaman and spellunker. Thanks for the contribution. I have understood that I will get nowhere password protecting the browser. Changing the password for the router seems more promising. Will there also be a password for the modem? I didn't realize that.
I'm not sure if anyone else is using the computer, it should only be me, and the allowance is only 5G/month. I generally don't use it for videos or music, nor do I upload very much. My internet is wireless. Untill a few months ago, I never used the 5G, but now I find it going by around the 20th of the month.
Thanks for your interest.

Can you tell us what model of wireless router/modem you have? Usually you will need to browse to its IP address with your web browser, then it will ask for a password. Then you can manage it's settings via web interface.

Sometimes the password is on a sticker on the bottom. If not then you can look up default passwords online by model number.

Back
Top Bottom