help with Windows 10 upgrade please.

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I am attempting to upgrade my laptop from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 (The free upgrade).

I have the O/S on a USB stick and have changed the boot order so that it boots from the USB. I then get a screen requesting which language I want plus the time and currency format required and also the keyboard details.

Everything seems to go along nicely and I get a screen come up showing the following :-
Copying Windows files
Getting files ready for installation
Installing Features
Installing updates
Getting finished

I am sat watching the progress and item two gets to 100% and then a few minutes later the screen goes blank and then I am back at the screen requesting language etc. This has happened three times and the whole process seems to be going round in a never ending circle.

Does anyone have any ideas on this please? many thanks.

Try removing the USB drive so that it will continue to load from the hard drive. It needs to boot from the hard drive for the last phases of installation.

For future reference- just use the Windows Media Creation Tool to perform a windows 10 upgrade.

Apologies, for some reason I figured you were using something else. Either way, try removing the flash drive and see if the process will continue.

When I've done the free upgrade, I've started it from within Windows and once its started it should automatically reboot at every stage without requiring changes made in the bios.

Don't feel too bad, I've done this before now without thinking, as crazyman mentioned, it's just the installation starting up again from scratch because it's booting from the USB drive again... with DVDs you don't tend to get this problem as you normally get a prompt saying "Press any key to boot up from DVD..." or something like that, no such luck with USB sticks!

When I've done the free upgrade, I've started it from within Windows and once its started it should automatically reboot at every stage without requiring changes made in the bios.
When upgrading, you start the process from within Windows, when doing a clean install you boot from DVD or USB.

OP - If you're wanting to upgrade your laptop as you stated, don't change the boot order to boot from USB as 1st choice, keep it as boot from hdd as 1st choice. Also, boot into Windows and then plug in the USB and run the installer from the USB drive.

I have done a clean install and all seems to be working just fine. Thank you to all who have helped. It really is very much appreciated.

Further to my last post #8 above. All is not as well as I thought. I am now getting a message that is telling me to "Activate Windows" and to go to settings in order to do this. When I go into settings it is telling me that "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key. error Code 0x803F7001.

The laptop came with Windows 7 Ultimate preloaded. I have installed Windows 10 Pro, does that make a difference?

Anyone know where I go from here please. The only disks that I have are the four disks that I prepared after buying the laptop, i.e. the recovery disks.

The upgrade path from windows 7 Ultimate should be Windows 10 Pro. Have you tried entering the product key you have for windows 7? It should accept the key. If not you may need to call the microsoft activation phone number for help.

Back
Top Bottom