Hello! Would love your advice!

greyhoundrick

Beta member
Hello everyone,

So lucky to be part of your forum! Thanks for having me!

This is my first post and I would like to thank everyone in advance for the opportunity to interact with you. Im sure your expertise and guidance will be extremely valuable to me! :)

I am 61 years old and we are getting out of the restaurant business after 34 years. Its been a struggle at times and not to bore you with the details, we are thankful to have survived!

My wife and I will both be working for a while in order to sustain an income that meets our fairly simple lifestyle. With that said, Im at the point now where I would rather do something I enjoy and make a modest income vs. something I dislike and earning a higher wage/profit.

I have always enjoyed using computers, both PC and Mac, however I am quite a novice when it comes to understanding the intricacies of how they work and how to be able to troubleshoot, program and diagnose their operations. I have done very basic things like install internal drives, RAM upgrades etc. and have become familiar with a few software programs like Photoshop CC, Excel, Word and the like, but am limited as to scope and depth of knowledge.

I understand that it is a long shot for me, at my age, to earn an IT degree or to create a large business repairing and/or consulting in this arena and frankly after being self employed for many years with numerous employees, we are more desirous of either owning a very small business and/or working for a company.

I would really like to be involved in the computer industry at some level (any level) and would like to ask for your advice as to the best way to proceed.

I would be interested in any of the following:

1. At Home Advisor

2. Tech/Consultant for a Computer support company

3. Sales person for a computer based firm (such as Best Buy)

4. Owner or partner in a very small consulting/repair business (very small office site or home office)

5. At home data entry, sales, marketing, help desk etc., position for a company like Amazon, GoDaddy, Geek Squad and the like

Im not sure if any of the above would be attainable given my age and relative lack of experience, but would love to hear your advice for someone like me who is interested in being involved in the computer industry in some fashion and not placing the amount of income made as a priority. I feel as though I need advice regarding the areas to concentrate on and the resources to accomplish my goals.

BTW, I am very thick skinned and don't mind at all if you tell me that I have no chance to accomplish any of the 5 aforementioned items above. I respect your advice and expertise and will listen carefully, with great interest and much appreciation.

Thanks for your time, sorry if I rambled a bit too much and hope to hear from you.

best always,

Rick

Welcome to the forums friend. I'm sure that people here will tell you that the entry level computer tech / IT related jobs are not very high paying. It will take time, experience, and some education to get to a point where you are earning a comfortable wage. Coming from first hand experience as someone who doesn't make a lot of money, lol!

I started out working for a small computer repair chain in my area with a similar level of experience. It was a very enjoyable time for me, and though it didn't make me rich, I learned a lot and had a great time. If it's the kind of thing you really love, you might feel the same way I did. If you can work a job like that and take classes at the same time, you could move up.

Avoid places like best buy/geek squad, though. They're all about pushing sales and not really about helping people. Still good experience, but not a fun work environment. And you said you want to do something enjoyable, after all.

Eventually try to get your foot in the door as a tech / helpdesk for a large company with growth opportunities. That's where I'm at right now.

Honestly though it sounds like you have loads of knowledge/experience about running a business / food service, continuing on that path could probably make you a lot more money! But, if you hate it and you're wanting to do something new, go for it rather then regret it later, right?

I am 26 years of age. I started when I was 9. It takes a long time, but all you really need is to go after what you love. My love was programming and malware removal. Yours may be different.
Google is and always will be your best tool. I have no degree, but I can code and I have helped in the repair of more computers than I know. I do not care the age, do not underestimate yourself.

EDIT:
Oh, and welcome. We will help you (I) will help you as you need or want.

I am 26 years of age. I started when I was 9. It takes a long time, but all you really need is to go after what you love. My love was programming and malware removal. Yours may be different.
Google is and always will be your best tool. I have no degree, but I can code and I have helped in the repair of more computers than I know. I do not care the age, do not underestimate yourself.

EDIT:
Oh, and welcome. We will help you (I) will help you as you need or want.

Thanks very much for your words of encouragement! Your offer to help means a lot! Im 61, but my wife and I are young at heart. Not ready to retire and can't wait to learn more! Thanks Draygoes, your words and thoughts are well beyond your years and I look forward to interacting with you! Will be in touch! Thanks again! :)

Looks like it. You are never to young or old to learn new tricks. As long as you do not look down upon me due to age, I will be greatful. Some do, others dont. That works the other way around as well.
You are very welcome. Please come in and I would recommend that you start with the "Jokes" thread in the "Chat" section. Get to know people. Again, that is just my opinion as to what you should do. If you have any questions, please ask here. Your contact through PM is fine as well, but not many people can help you if you do that. Questions are reserved through several sub-forums. It is due to the fact that others can learn solutions on the way that you question things, and the responses. I hope that this is OK. Once I get the major problems out of the way, I can ask you to contact... but not before.

I wish you the best, and I hope that you learn a lot.

Last edited:
Looks like it. You are never to young or old to learn new tricks. As long as you do not look down upon me due to age, I will be greatful. Some do, others dont. That works the other way around as well.
You are very welcome. Please come in and I would recommend that you start with the "Jokes" thread in the "Chat" section. Get to know people. Again, that is just my opinion as to what you should do. If you have any questions, please ask here. Your contact through PM is fine as well, but not many people can help you if you do that. Questions are reserved through several sub-forums. It is due to the fact that others can learn solutions on the way that you question things, and the responses. I hope that this is OK. Once I get the major problems out of the way, I can ask you to contact... but not before.

I wish you the best, and I hope that you learn a lot.

Thank you Draygoes!!

As I move forward, my first question is one Im sure has been asked many, many times. Where, what and how are the best ways to learn what areas of computers are out there? What are the different segments and how do they relate to each other?

So far, I have been online learning some of the hardware components & also different software programs. Ive mostly done this by reading articles, Googling and watching YouTube videos.

I kind of liken it to when I started with my photography years ago. I first learned about the different types, portrait, landscape, macro, HDR etc. Once I learned "what" they were, I then dabbled a little bit in each of them to try to determine which I might want to focus in on. Would my approach to computing be somewhat the same methodology?

Many thanks for your help and hope to hear from many members of this great forum!

thanks,

Rick

Last edited:
Thank you Draygoes!!

As I move forward, my first question is one Im sure has been asked many, many times. Where, what and how are the best ways to learn what areas of computers are out there? What are the different segments and how do they relate to each other?

So far, I have been online learning some of the hardware components & also different software programs. Ive mostly done this by reading articles, Googling and watching YouTube videos.

I kind of liken it to when I started with my photography years ago. I first learned about the different types, portrait, landscape, macro, HDR etc. Once I learned "what" they were, I then dabbled a little bit in each of them to try to determine which I might want to focus in on. Would my approach to computing be somewhat the same methodology?

Many thanks for your help and hope to hear from many members of this great forum!

thanks,

Rick
You are very welcome.
Honestly, you are doing this correctly. Google is the best tool to use. Your approach is exactly the same as anyone of a new profession. You just have to study, ask questions where you have to, and always remember that there is no such thing as a dumb question.

I forgot to welcome you Greyhoundrick, to the forum, hope you decide to stick around.

Good day sir..:cool:

Back
Top Bottom