Having an Unidentified Audio Problem

actually a message box has popped up a few times

"USB Device Not Recognized" the location of the device is show in bold type "USB Root Hub (2 ports ) > Generic USB Hub (8 ports) >
Unused port
Unused port
Unused port
"USB Composite Device"
Unused port
Unused port
Unknown USB Device
Unused port
-Unused port

Well you either have a fault on the motherboard that is causing your USB device not to be recognised or there is a problem with the Operating system or USB drivers. I keep saying this but I think it's time to reinstall everything from the bottom up and see what transpires. I don't know what make your computer is but if it has never been reinstalled I would be looking to do a "clean" install rather than a factory reset. I think that you are hedging away from this, possibly because you don't know how to do this and it is a daunting task depending on what you have on your computer but it is the way I would be going now. It might not cure your fault but if it doesn't at least you can be pretty sure that it is either a fault on your motherboard. a compatabilty problem with your hardware or software rather than a virus.

Well you either have a fault on the motherboard that is causing your USB device not to be recognised or there is a problem with the Operating system or USB drivers. I keep saying this but I think it's time to reinstall everything from the bottom up and see what transpires. I don't know what make your computer is but if it has never been reinstalled I would be looking to do a "clean" install rather than a factory reset. I think that you are hedging away from this, possibly because you don't know how to do this and it is a daunting task depending on what you have on your computer but it is the way I would be going now. It might not cure your fault but if it doesn't at least you can be pretty sure that it is either a fault on your motherboard. a compatabilty problem with your hardware or software rather than a virus.

Hmm i'm not really sure where to start doing a clean install a reset would be bothersome but would do it if a clean install does not work and i do find doing a factory reset daunting

Either way you would have to back up all your personal files. You would lose all your programs so you need to make sure that you have the original installation files or can access them on the internet. It would be a 2 to 3 hour jobby if you know what you are doing so it's not for the faint hearted. It is something that needs to be done on a 2 or 3 yearly cycle, in my opinion, because not withstanding viri and malware, bits of old programs and files that have been deleted get left behind and these can build up causing your computer to slow down and quite possibly not run some programs properly. Also doing a clean install will get rid of 99% of virus and malware infections so you can be reasonably sure that after doing a clean install if you still have a problem then it is almost certainly hardware related. But I do agree that factory resets and clean installs are daunting. I do them on a regular basis on my 3 computers that I have here in fact I did a clean install on this laptop last night because it was running slowly. All my personal files are backed up on to external disks so apart from reinstalling all the programs I don't have to worry about my files. But bottom line is that eventually it is the only way to go. Whether you do it or your local computer tech does is pretty much immaterial it will become a necessity sooner or later. There is an obvious downside to letting your local computer tecky guy do the job and that is the cost. There is also a downside to doing a factory restore and that is by doing that you put all the clag that the computer manufacturer originally put on, 99% of which you will never need, back on. But if you cannot use Windows recovery then you pretty much are down to 2 choices. Live with the problem or do a clean or factory reinstall. You can download a legit copy of Windows 7 from Microsoft's site and you should have the microsoft product number stuck somewhere on your computer. If it's a laptop it could be on the bottom of the machine or in the battery compartment. You can get the media creation tool for windows 7 here:- http://wudt.codeplex.com/ but you will need your product number to activate windows once installed. Of course you may have a Windows 7 DVD that came with your computer but most manufacturers stopped giving those out towards the end of the Windows XP era. I have to admit though that this is not easy to do and ultimately it might be better to bite the bullet and go see your local computer tech.

Actually my computer was put together by a friend of mine and i have my own copy of Windows 7

Well there you go I really don't see what the problem is. Just you and your friend go for it. He will know what to do. There is no easy or guaranteed fix for this. I think that I have now exhausted my repertoire of ideas and suggestions on this.

Back
Top Bottom