Hi, I am Louie

Skyrocket

Beta member
Hi, I am Louie and I need help with my 7 years old Gateway SX2800-1. I need to upgade my RAMs and graphics card and maybe also PSU. But I want to avoid changing my PSU since it still works. I am not a gamer and I only use the computer for internet, HuluPlus, Microsoft Office and editing pictures. But my daughter is into Minecraft and we tried to download it in the computer and unfortunately our graphics card is not capable. My computer been to some issues with crashing and hangs. Started from Microsoft Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and now Windows 10. It is a slim line design tower and needs half size graphics card. My PSU is only 220 watts. Can someone please help me?

Welcome aboard :D

Good to have you here, brother Louie Louie Louie (if you get the reference :D).

The installed RAM seems to be 4GB which is good enough for your application and to run Minecraft. Unless by editing pictures you mean photoshopping high resolution pics, then please state that.

The minimum required video card is an equivalent of nVidia Gefore 9600GT and that requires a 400WATT system PSU which means the modern approximate equivalent of nVidia is a GTX 650 (newer generations don't have low profile video cards like what your system supports). Just make sure that card fits in the case and you get a good PSU of minimum 400WATT for it. That could be more than needed, but it's gonna be above borderline. Better than a little below borderline and have electrical shorts.

That's my view. Perhaps if you ask in the right section you'll get better answers.

Thank you for the information.I do use Adobe Photoshop Element 11 to edit picture and video's. I have a question also about upgrading RAMs.Is it ok to put one 8GB memory instead of putting 4x2GB memory?

It is just as BK said. Having two RAM chips in your system activates a dual channeling mechanism that speeds up RAM utilization. Just keep in mind for future references that this does not always apply the same way. Some other systems use triple channeling mechanism.

In your case, check which is better to get 8GB total; adding two 2GB chips in the two free RAM slots to your current 4GB (which is two 2GB chips) or removing them adding two 4GB. The prices in your market and the chance in selling the current supposed two 2GB chips you have. Actually, I think the latter is the better choice since there is no telling if the system supports 4GB chips.

I might have said you have 4GB, but did you confirm it? My statement was based on the line "4GB / 8GB (max)" which I assumed the part on the right was to indicate the max amount only.

Yes I have 2x2gb (4GB) RAM chips standard in my CPU.Just missing another 4 gb.I think I will just get 2x2gb RAM chips.Since my standard ones are still working good.Its just that I see having 1 RAM cheap is cheaper than buying 2 RAM chips of the equivalent GB. THANK YOU AGAIN SMART GUY and THANK YOU BK 123!

I meant the former, which is adding two 2GB chips to your current two 2GB chips, is the better choice. Silly me and my English.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom