Windows 8 stuck on please wait

Your drive is not dead.... yet. It might have bad sector. If it does, it's time to replace it. More are most likely on it's way.
Better to get rid of it. You should ofcause test it first before doing so.

But don't worry. Even if it has these bad dead sectors, you can still salvage the pictures.
Connect the drive to another computer and access the drive there.
If you don't have another computer near, or are missing the necessary cables to connect it, use a live distribution of Linux. The live linux distribution will be running in your RAM. So no need to install anything on the harddrive.

If these files are important to you, i suggest picking them up now before messing too much around with your hard drive.

You can download Lubuntu (a light weight version of Ubuntu) here:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/15.10/release/lubuntu-15.10-desktop-i386.iso

Then throw it onto a CD or USB. (If you choose USB, you will have to make it bootable) Tell me if you need help with that.
Bootup the USB and choose "try Lubuntu". (important... try, not install)
This way it's loaded to your RAM, and you have full access to your harddrive. Copy everything you hold dear to another USB drive.

Do this first, and then we will test that harddrive for dead sectors.

Last edited:
I think a youtube video would be better to explain it.
Do you have a Sata cable laying around? You will need an extra of those.
Or if your other computer already have 2 harddrives in it, you can swap out the secondary harddrive with the harddrive in question.

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

This is how you install a harddrive.
I have not seen the hole video, but glanced trough it. It seem to be explaining it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2kcJH8ASN8

This guide should explain it quite well.
How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu
Even though it's for Ubuntu, Lubuntu is the same OS, just with another UI. So just choose Ubuntu in program.

When done restart the computer and hit the correct F key (as you did to enter recovery). It should be ether F8, F10 or F12. The post screen should tell you what key to hit.

Then choose USB and load up the program.

Choose try Lubuntu and secure your files.

Last edited:
I cannot get to a recovery screen I've tried hitting the F keys nothing happens. However I did download Ubuntu onto a memory stick and have put it into the laptop but nothing happens

Ohh, i though toy did try the recovery.
I'll need more info on that one.
What is happening that isn't suppose to happen.

Of managed to get to the recovery screen tried to set a restore point but when I restated the computer it just sits there at please wait

Waaaahhhhgaaaayyyyyyyy got it back can't believe it. Thanks for your help biker echo I will be baking up my pics now. How do I find out what caused it please

Back
Top Bottom