My Desktop Has Just Disappeared. Windows 10

ohdearme

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone I have just joined, it said friendly. so here I am.

My desktop has just gone, When opening up, my laptop shows the windows10 icons. If I press the windows button + D, nothing happens.

Please help

Regards

Alan

Hi I think we will need a bit more info. Obviously from what you say your computer is booting into Windows 10. Pressing the Windows button + D only shows the desktop so if your already on the desktop effectively nothing happens. Can you start any programs?

Thank you Pete for replying. It does not open on the desktop at all, but on these windows 10 icons. Pressing the Windows button + D does nothing.

However, anwering your question, If I go to the left vertical bar\Windows system\ File explorer, then yes I can open programs by clicking on a file.
Also if I click on Desktop it opens in "Explorer" style, not ideal.
Best
Alan

Okay so your menu bar seems to be working. That is what you click on to get file explorer. I'm still confused by your description of the problem to be honest but try this.

Right click on what you have for a desktop, anywhere to the right "left vertical bar" and then put your arrow on view then that should open a menu and at the bottom you should see "show desktop icons" left click this entry and it should display your desktop icons. Desktop icons can be toggled on or off using this function.

You might have Tablet Mode turned on, which hides the desktop and brings back the Windows 8 start screen.

To turn it off go to Start > Settings > System > Tablet Mode > Off

You should also be able to open the Notifications Center from the icon in the task tray, and there is a tablet mode toggle button in there.

Goodness! Tablet Mode, something I have never heard of was on, I turned it off and I am happy again. Thank you Crazyman143 and Pete.

One thing that Forums like this show is that people are prepared to give advice out of the goodness of their hearts.

Best regards to you both.

Alan

If its a laptop that doesn't have a touchscreen then the tablet mode should be grayed out like below.

rWHYd26.png

Back
Top Bottom