Flash Player

pete.i

Daemon Poster
Not sure whether to put this here or in Security. Anyway here goes. Quite a bit of what I am reading on the net about Flash Player is telling me to either disable it or remove it entirely because of the security implications associated with Flash Player at the moment. The problem with that is web sites like You Tube etc will not work without Flash. Nobody is saying what alternative to use if Flash is disabled or removed. In fact I don't think there is an alternative, or am I wrong with that assumption? Either with disablement or removal an awful lot of interesting stuff on the net would be unusable.

My understanding is that there are alternatives but it's up to the web developers to implement them. HTML5 for example is supported by every modern browser and can be a replacement for Flash in many scenarios. Youtube for example has been using an HTML5 based player for some time now.

As long as we continue to run flash, there will be developers who will not put forth the effort to eliminate it from their apps, in spite of the security implications. Some folks believe that it could be phased out faster if the masses simply refuse to run it, but that's just difficult to do.

My understanding is that there are alternatives but it's up to the web developers to implement them. HTML5 for example is supported by every modern browser and can be a replacement for Flash in many scenarios. Youtube for example has been using an HTML5 based player for some time now.

As long as we continue to run flash, there will be developers who will not put forth the effort to eliminate it from their apps, in spite of the security implications. Some folks believe that it could be phased out faster if the masses simply refuse to run it, but that's just difficult to do.

LOL if the "masses" worked together we could sort out the world's problems in a month but that just aint gonna happen. Thanks for you input though I will look into that.

Firefox is trying to eliminate Adobe Flash Player and Google Chrome is trying the same thing with Java but IE still works for both so make sure you keep them all up to date as if they get old they won't work right and can enable Malware into system, which is why those two are trying to eliminate them.

Firefox is trying to eliminate Adobe Flash Player and Google Chrome is trying the same thing with Java but IE still works for both so make sure you keep them all up to date as if they get old they won't work right and can enable Malware into system, which is why those two are trying to eliminate them.

Actually both Google & Mozilla are doing. Google decided to end support so Mozilla followed suit.

When you say MOzilla be careful to say Firefox as there are many Mozilla browsers who stayed out of this. I use Pale Moon, a Mozilla Browser and it has both Java and Adobe Flash Player working just fine and I don't believe FF has ended Java either.

If Chrome and Firefox eliminate Flash-player, how are we gonna watch ESPN3 streaming s and others?

When you say MOzilla be careful to say Firefox as there are many Mozilla browsers who stayed out of this. I use Pale Moon, a Mozilla Browser and it has both Java and Adobe Flash Player working just fine and I don't believe FF has ended Java either.

There is only one browser developed/made by Mozilla which is Firefox. All the other versions like Pale Moon are derived from Firefox and since most are built off Firefox they will probably have to follow.

Back
Top Bottom