Help with a repurpouse rebuild

What I do is i have a pci-e raid card that I got from ebay for under $50. It's cheaper because it's sata II but still works just fine and is an LSI which is a good brand.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe as long as the raid card can handle 16tb it doesn't matter the limit of the on board controller.

And if you're concerned about the rebuild time on a raid 5, why not go with a raid 10 or raid 6? Then you're protected for two drive failures.

If you have a decent raid card handling your array, you can just install windows or any OS of your choice and not have to worry about software raid. And if it was me, I'd just mirror the data over to the backup machine without bothering to do full/incremental backups. Since it's media the compression and other features of basic backup software probably won't make a whole lot of difference.

just my 2 cents.

You could set them up in a JBOD array. The disks will still be visible to the OS as a single volume, but there is no parity or striping. If a drive fails, the others can still be pulled and read in another machine. Though obviously you'd lose any files stored on the failed drive.

Probably another option is to create individual, single disk arrays for each drive. Although if you're going that route then maybe getting a motherboard that can support the drives natively like other's have suggested could be the better option. or getting just a pcie sata controller and skipping the raid card altogether

Last edited:
Yes i think I might go down the pice sata card road until I can afford to build a more uptodate dedicated server can you suggest any that would be compatible with 4x4tbs and my pretty old mb I would not use raid unles persuaded otherwise

My nas is what I want a backup it uses software raid it's got 1x4tb drive at the moment when it's full it holds 4x4tb drives using one for parity data if I wanted to back it up when it was full would I need to back up the 4 drives or just the 3 drives and not the parity it would be a file level backup

I assume it would only need 12tb data backup because of not needing the party
data

---------- Post added at 04:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 AM ----------

Do you no if I would be able to upgrade the power supply in my aspire case obv more drives need more power there's nothing about it in the Internet n acer don't wanna talk. About possible upgrades and support

My stock power supply could be enough to power it all I don't no how you work this out

If you don't have a raid then you should only need 3 4TB drives to achieve 12TB capacity. Most likely the Power supply can support that, but check the label on the PSU for the wattage and then you can use this calculator to confirm it is sufficient: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator And as I said I THINK that the pcie sata controller would let you bypass the motherboard's limit on capacity but I haven't tried it so maybe someone else could chime in and confirm that.

Also if you're going that route you might want to get an additional smaller disk (maybe an SSD) to run just the OS, then you reserve the space on your 4TB drives

If you use windows 8 or 10 as your OS, you could use storage spaces to make a simple jbod array (no parity) with the 4TB disks.

Back
Top Bottom