Help with a repurpouse rebuild

Sharpy1

In Runtime
hi all I recently acquired a acer aspire m3201 and desperately need to create a backup server to protect my pretty big media files networked stored on a NAS with total space needed of around 16TB+ needing to be backed up to a different computer for safe keeping my questions are

what are the limitations on the hdds size could I use 4tb+ drives x4

there are enough bays for 4 3.5" Drives and enough sata ports on the board

any and all information on this tower is appreatiated

it would be a backup server
maby a transcoding server for plex but not much

any help appreateated thanks again ppl

How much data do you currently have stored?

If you have 16TB worth of data, you want your backup destination to be twice that size IMO, which means you will need 32TB worth of storage on the backup server.

Next, you will have to use RAID obviously, but, 4TB disks are not exactly something you want to be using in RAID, a 3x4TB RAID5 array has a high chance of being rebuilt should a disk fail. You also need to consider the RAID controller, you shouldn't be using software based methods, or cheap generic controllers, a good controller is going to set you back a minimum of $400 + $100 for the BBU.

Most people that need backups end up going with cloud services, sure it takes forever to backup, but, it's more reliable, cheaper in the short-term, and you don't have to worry about equipment failures. It only takes a single bolt of lighting to destroy your main file server, and your backup file server if they are in the same area.

At the moment I have 3tb of data but it is always filling quickly but a nas with a total of 16tb once full that I would want a backup of so just above 16tb should do it apart from a OS for the server

And would I have to use a raid controller I was thinking 4 separate 4tb drives backed up from a backup program that is capable of splitting backup images into segments eg 1tb 4tb

And as for equipment failure I would constantly keep an eye one ctenophore hdd's and replace them as soon as needed and as for lightning or other things the backup server would not be on 24/7 I would turn it on just to do backups and off again after its complete

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

I have a nas with a 4tb drive can go to 16tb and plan on doing so

Movies are stored on the nas and that streams them where needed

I want to back up the nas to other drives in case of failure

Use incremental back ups. That way you just save what is new. That would save time and drive space.

Yes I would start with a full backup and do either incremental or differential backups after that not that a can tell the difference between the two apart from only needing one differential and a full to do a restore of your media but the problem would be is that I already have a 4tb in my nas filled with 2tb and growing

So for backup I would need at least 4x4tb drives at the end when my nas is completely full and already 2tb to do a full backup but that's already growing so a 4tb the same as in the nas at the moment would be needed

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I'm just unsure if my computer will support 4tb drives

What's the model of your computer...? As I said before, 4TB disks are bad for RAID, and MOST backup software won't let you back up to multiple disks in the fashion you are thinking is possible. You tell the software the location you want to send the backup to, even split, it will still send the split to that same location. So you are going to have to go with RAID if your backing up massive amounts of data, and should look into a good RAID controller that supports 4TB disks, as well as Raid5, R5, you only lose about 25% of the total disk storage (redundancy), but, it's the more economical choice if you are needing a storage pool that large for your backups.

Thanks for the help my model is a acer aspire m3201 there is not much about it on the Internet from what can find and my nas uses 4tb drives in a flex software raid why are these disks bad for a raid

And my plan would be to have a folder structure on my nas as
Movies (SMB SHARE) as main folder with sub folders
Movies hd1 4TB
Movies hd2 4tb
Etc
And then back up the individual movies HD* not the movies SMB share entirely

Have a separate backup job for each movies subfolder

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

a don't really like raid truthfully a prefere a harddrive running only when needed not working with the other drives

Your computer should have an Acer RS780HVF motherboard, and if I am not mistaken, the chipset for that board doesn't support 4TB disks. You are going to be stuck with 2TB disks, or, to get 4TB disks, at a minimum, a SATA controller add-on to support 4TB disks.

If I was to swap my motherboard what would you suggest it would need to support
AMD phenom x4 AM2 socket
2GB PC6400 128x8 DIMM
1GB GDDR2-800 128x8 1.8v Ep
6 sata ports at least maby 5 if pushed
And definitely needs support for 4tb data storage devices

Please only suggested components

Back
Top Bottom