How can I turn my C drive to an ISO with Imaging software

d9esco

Solid State Member
Im using windows 7 and I installed software onto my c drive. Id like to back it all up as an ISO image that would include everything ive installed onto it. Is there software that could do this on mint? I dont think I can backup my c drive while im using an OS on it.

Why would you want to do that, you could not do anything with it and it would never bootup.
Make an image file out of it as there are enough free programs, the one that comes to mind the quickest is "Macrium Reflect" or EaseUs Todo Backup. Those image files they make are the entire drive and can be restored. You can also view the image file in a form of Explorer to read out any files you want to and copy and paste them as well.

As Rich said, what you want to do is create an image file, but not an ISO image. ISO images are mainly for creating bootable media on discs and flash drives. Create an image file of your C Drive, then in the event that you want to restore from such an image, you could do so with a bootable disc supplied by the imaging software.

I second Rich's recommendation for macrium reflect. Does a great job for a free utility and also is able to make a bootable recovery disc.

As Rich said, what you want to do is create an image file, but not an ISO image. ISO images are mainly for creating bootable media on discs and flash drives. Create an image file of your C Drive, then in the event that you want to restore from such an image, you could do so with a bootable disc supplied by the imaging software.

I second Rich's recommendation for macrium reflect. Does a great job for a free utility and also is able to make a bootable recovery disc.

Think of a windows 7 SP1 and SP3 iso. The SP3 has packets already installed, unlike the SP1; these ISOs also have preinstalled software such as paint, iexplorer, and everything else on it.

I was wondering how I could create my own bootable ISO with my own software, such as adobe software and other programs I downloaded off the internet.

check out NTLite. Made by the same developers who created nlite, which was a superb program that did this for XP. NTLite now supports Windows 7 and above. There are paid versions but I think that the free edition would work for what you want to do.

https://www.ntlite.com/

Think of a windows 7 SP1 and SP3 iso. The SP3 has packets already installed, unlike the SP1; these ISOs also have preinstalled software such as paint, iexplorer, and everything else on it.

I was wondering how I could create my own bootable ISO with my own software, such as adobe software and other programs I downloaded off the internet.

Perhaps you're talking about how to make your own version of Windows installation disc or image (ISO) out of your current ready installed Windows?

There are some fan made Windows editions packed with custom list of programs. Are you trying to make one of those?

Am I on the right track?

If so, that's different from basically just making an ISO. An ISO is just one of the formats for disc simulated packages used with disc drive emulators and makers of such of the above simply use it out of convenience.

---------- Post added at 10:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Are you a member on RF called SRise?

Perhaps you're talking about how to make your own version of Windows installation disc or image (ISO) out of your current ready installed Windows?

There are some fan made Windows editions packed with custom list of programs. Are you trying to make one of those?

Am I on the right track?

Yes, im trying to make my own version of a windows install disc after I remove certain apps like games and install other 3rd party apps off the internet to create an ISO file so I can create an installable USB drive.

Yes, im trying to make my own version of a windows install disc after I remove certain apps like games and install other 3rd party apps off the internet to create an ISO file so I can create an installable USB drive.

In this case, I'm sorry, I cannot help you. Not familiar with that method.

Back
Top Bottom