Connected to my Wi-Fi network, but internet doesn't work...please help!

JohnJSal

Beta member
Hello everyone. I'll start by saying that I am fairly computer literate for most things (I built my own PC, for example), but I simply do not understand networking issues. I am usually very confused about issues involving routers, IP addresses, DNS, DHCP, etc. etc. I just don't get it and therefore find it extremely frustrating.

Having said that, I'm in the middle of such a frustrating experience right now. I recently moved and had new internet service set up about 10 days ago (satellite internet), and I bought a new router to go with it (ASUS RT-N56U). Setup was easy and it worked fine until this past Friday. Suddenly I was just no longer able to get on the internet. Trying to go to a website gave me an error saying the page couldn't be found.

However, at all times (and even right now) it shows that I am connected to the internet and to my Wi-Fi network. I have an "excellent" signal, it says "Connected" and "Internet Access" in the system tray icon, and all lights on the router are fine.

I have tried multiple computers and browsers, and none work. What *does* work is plugging the modem directly into a computer and using the internet, so I'm pretty sure it's the router.

I have tried different ethernet cables, power cycling, firmware upgrades, and even a factory reset (although I never had anything other than the default settings anyway). Nothing has worked. I am still connected to the network (and supposedly the internet) but the internet doesn't work.

I really hope this sounds familiar to someone and a fix can be suggested. I've checked a few other things, like making sure the TCP/IPv4 settings for automatically obtaining IP addresses are set, and they are. I really don't know what else to do, but like I said, I just don't get this network stuff, so maybe there are other things to try that I don't know about.

Thanks!
John

Hmm so you can get to a website when connected via Ethernet but not when connected via WiFi. Have you tried resetting the router or checking for updates for it?

My clients get this sometimes when going from hotel to hotel. They come here and can't get on. I have them going in to the network and sharing page them open manage wireless networks. From there I have them delete all of the wifi stations off the list and reboot.

Have you tried the simplest solution? Power down both modem and router. Plug modem back up, let it completely boot (all lights on, etc). Plug router back up, let it completely boot. Check connection.

Hi everyone. Yes, I have tried powering down both the modem and the router (multiple times). I have tried upgrading the firmware. I have not tried contacting Asus, which I suppose I should but I guess I feel like that will lead nowhere as it usually does.

Actually, right at this moment the internet is working again. I just woke up today and it was working. I fully expect it to stop working at some point later today though, as it has done several times in the past few days.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I noticed that when I go to Ookla speedtest, my location is way off. I thought maybe this was a problem with satellite internet, but I tried a different router last night and when I did a speed test it had my location right, so I'm wondering if my Asus router is causing the location issue and if that has anything to do with the problem.

But like I said, I am *always* connected to the network, it's just that the internet doesn't work.

Hi! John! There are lemons on every thing you buy. I bought a new NETGEAR at Staples. Was the only brand they had. Couldn't get it to work and after explaining and complaining They gave me the best NETGEAR router they had for no extra charge. Had it going in 10 minutes and no more drop outs. Not only do routers wear out, you get a lemon every once in awhile, just like cars and every thing else.
Gary!

Hi! John! There are lemons on every thing you buy. I bought a new NETGEAR at Staples. Was the only brand they had. Couldn't get it to work and after explaining and complaining They gave me the best NETGEAR router they had for no extra charge. Had it going in 10 minutes and no more drop outs. Not only do routers wear out, you get a lemon every once in awhile, just like cars and every thing else.
Gary!

I hope that's the issue. I have another one coming tomorrow (the same model) and I really want it to just work! :)

This sounds a lot to me like an issue with the service rather than the router. If their customer service is any good it might be good to try them.

Also could be an issue the isp's dns servers. You could test this when it happens by trying to ping google.com, see if it fails, then try pinging 8.8.8.8. And if it works by ip, it's dns related.

If it's dns related, I'd say bypass the ISP's dns servers and using google's instead. Manually specify in your router config that you want to use 8.8.8.8 as your DNS server, rather than the one provided by the ISP.

Back
Top Bottom