seagate fromat

zeezeiler99

Baseband Member
hey :)

I recently wanted to install another operating system on my external hard disk.
So, I did it, I installed linux, or at least, I tried, halfway through it stopped and my ex. hard disk can't be accessed anymore,
I can see it's connected through 'device manager' but I can't access it.
It would be awesome if there is software for a problem like this and that I can access it again.

I've already tried the seagate tools for formatting, they didn't work.

cheers,

Joost

Last edited:
So I'll make the assumption that what you're trying to do is use the BIOS boot menu to boot up the linux OS on the external drive when you want to use it, is that correct? If you go into the BIOS options on your system, is the external drive visible there?

Also, since you are installing linux you're not going to be able to access the drive within Windows, because Linux uses the EXT file system, which Windows cannot recognize. But it seems it should should still show up in disk management. Have you checked there?

Hi Can you see the drive in disk management. What seagate tools have you tried.
I'm not aware of seagate tools for formatting???If you can see the drive in disk management, you should be able to format it there and assign a drive letter, if the drive is not fried!!
OOps sorry crazyman. Didn't mean to step on you!!
Gary!

Try uninstalling your USB root hubs via device manager (if prompted to remove driver software, say no) and then reboot. The system should then reinstall drivers for usb devices and possibly will see the drive.

Hi ! I didn't see any tool in your seagate link that formats the drive. Does seagate see your external?? Once again !!!What do you see in disk management??? That's where you should be able to format and give the drive a letter. Then you should be able to see it with Windows Explorer!
Gary!

Back
Top Bottom