Suspect Virus or Malware...Help Please?

I don't use the online scanner since I subscribe to the full monty package. 3 computers for 2 years only cost me 80 dollars. Now that's a bargain.

I actually got lucky enough to grab Avast Business Edition for free when they had the promo going. It doesnt have all of the features like Grime Cleaner, Firewall, ect, but I dont need those. What did go away was the thing advertising their other products, and it added features like remote scanning and reporting. If you already use other tools for free that do the same thing that its Pro version does then why add the extra bulk?
It really is useful if you are the main admin for your entire network and want to take the guess work away from other users. Trust me, everyone in our house is glad for that.
Sorry, off topic but that really was a steal and setishock reminded me of it.

And do your scans from safe mode. In safe mode the system loads the minimum it needs to operate. Most of the time you can catch the bad guys napping and wipe them out. Programs like the ESET security suite take forever to run in safe mode because it has a lot more files it can look at.

How long is forever? I have a free period from 2-7 am from my satellite service. After 7 am they start counting data usage. Of course when I run out that's it for the day. My computer is using 250 mb in about 2 hours which is the amount allotted each day. I usually don't use that in 24 hours.

Hi! I'm not sure what your talking about "Constantly causing the quick data drain"???
What kind of strange things is windows up date doing??
You might try this for the sleep mode problem.

When it goes into sleep mode, after some time it will cut itself on and I see the windows update icon on the bottom right corner of the screen like it does when the update runs, only when I click on it nothing comes up like it normally would to show me the progress of the update. I have it set to run automatically In the early morning hours so it is done during the "bonus period" given by my IP (Hughesnet). I have started turning it completely off so it won't burn up mb's while not in use.

Also when my computer is restarted, there is a notice at the bottom right of the screen saying "You are not connected to a windows service" or something like that. I think the windows update service may be corrupted with something.

As for ESET last run I did on my entire system, several drives equaling 5TB, took about an hour and a half. Now I have the ESET package on my computers and not the online scanner.

I have never been a fan of auto updates. Besides installing patches that are problematic and need to be set aside, it also installs older versions or M$ versions of drivers. YUCK!
Takes too long to clean up the mess.

Last edited:
Hi ! It shouldn't take longer than 2 hours at the most to run ESET. MHO would be to run Malwarebytes Anti-root first. Adwclearner second and follow that with Malwarebytes free. Then if you are still having problems run ESET on line scanner!
You can find the links to all these in the post I made.(post#2)
PS I'm tired of MS trying to force updates on me and I have shut the automatic update off! I will chose which updates I want!!

Back
Top Bottom