Suspect Virus or Malware...Help Please?

hardhead1

Baseband Member
I use Kasperski for virus protection and I was conduction a search for some research and one of the links I clicked on brought up a notice from Kasperski twice. I'm on satellite and noticed the next day that my mb usage had increased tremendously. It's to the point that a whole days allowance of mb is used up in 2 hours. This is very rare as I usually spend all day on line and never use half of my daily allowance.

I ran a virus scan twice and came up empty, but I don't know how good Kasperski is, or if it will pick up malware. All this is also after Hughesnet was down for a couple of days. I doubt it's related but thought it worth mentioning.

Any advice on a good malware tool to use or any advice at all would be most welcome.

Thanks for the info. I should mention that my computer hasn't slowed down but windows update is doing strange things. My computer will cut itself on after it has gone into "sleep mode". I think it may be corrupted somehow and running in the background constantly causing the quick data drain.

Hi! I'm not sure what your talking about "Constantly causing the quick data drain"???
What kind of strange things is windows up date doing??
You might try this for the sleep mode problem.
1. Go to Start, type Device Manager and then press Enter
2. Expand Network adapters
3. Right click a network adapter and then click Properties.
4. Click Power Management
5. Make sure the box, Allow this device to wake the computer is NOT TICKED.

Go in the bios and disable, Wake on LAN and Wake on Magic Packet.
The LAN or wireless is hearing something over the network and is waking up. My laptop when I leave it on for extended times will do that when the router lease expires and it polling to see who's still out there. I killed the wake on lan and wake on magic packet and it blissfully stays in idle mode.

I think you need more of a deeper generalist like either Hitman Pro or Emsisoft Emergency Kit in order to be sure you are clean. No Antivirus really touches most Malware and those are the issues today that we face.

And do your scans from safe mode. In safe mode the system loads the minimum it needs to operate. Most of the time you can catch the bad guys napping and wipe them out. Programs like the ESET security suite take forever to run in safe mode because it has a lot more files it can look at.

Yup! ESET does take a long time to scan your PC; but IMHO, it's the best online scanner. Good tip about running in safe mode setishock. I always forget to mention that.

Back
Top Bottom