Hi! I'm donetao!

Welcome aboard. We 2 Toshiba laptops in our household. One has an i3, 4GB ram, 500GB HDD & Win 8.1 and the other has an AMD Vision CPU, 4GB ram, 320GB HDD and Win 7. At OP have you reserved your free upgrade for Windows 10?

Hi! BK 123 ! Yes I reserved my W10 free up grade. I'm going to hold back and let everyone else get the bugs out before I upgrade to W10. I can't believe Microsoft is giving it away . I think they feel bad about W8 and trying to make up for that piece of crap. I'm perfectly happy with my W7. I never had Vista or W8. I have worked on them a little!!
Thanks for your welcome and your reply!
donetao!

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. For some reason none of my copies of Win 8.x are pieces of crap and actually work better than any of the W10 builds I've tried so far!

I love it when someone who has admitted to not using Win 8 much (if at all) calls it a piece of crap. It's not just you Donetao, I encounter lots of people that hate Win 8 that have never used it at all.

I'm not upgrading to W10, even free.

Last edited:
Hi! strollin! Bad choice of words on my part. Should have said Old people don't like a lot of changes and there are a lot of changes in W8.1. I work on PC's with W8.1 here in my village and it's a big change from XP and W7.
There are a lot of PC users that like W8.1 beside you. I have not been around it that much and I could probably get use to it and maybe even like it. I like my W7 and I may not upgrade to W10 either.

At 62 years old, my kids say I'm an old fart but I still like learning new things so change doesn't bother me. I hope I never get to the age where I can't or won't deal with change.

I like Win 7 too. I didn't upgrade any of my Win 7 machines to Win 8 when it first came out either. I'm not big on upgrading my OS unless I think it's a big improvement. When Win 7 came out, I liked it so much that I upgraded all of my XP machines to Win 7 and never looked back. XP seemed antiquated and clunky to me after Win 7 came out and I couldn't stand using it anymore.

To me, Win 8 isn't that much different than Win 7. I don't use the Win 8 Start screen and don't use Modern apps. I run the same programs on Win 8 that I run on Win 7. I haven't used the Start menu in Windows since Win 2000 came out so didn't miss the Start menu when they took it out of Win 8 and don't want the Start menu they added back in in Win 10.

Last edited:
I like Win 7 too. I didn't upgrade any of my Win 7 machines to Win 8 when it first came out either. I'm not big on upgrading my OS unless I think it's a big improvement. When Win 7 came out, I liked it so much that I upgraded all of my XP machines to Win 7 and never looked back. XP seemed antiquated and clunky to me after Win 7 came out and I couldn't stand using it anymore.

Same exact deal here. Although MS is trying to push the Win10 upgrade on us, I am happy with 7, and this family would kill me if I tried to force them to learn a new OS after they just got used to this one LOL (Cynthias dad has never been the computer type...)

Hi ! Here's my thoughts. I hope my theory is correct. I have a 1TB seagate external HD. I use it to store back up images mainly. I do have some other things on it like Keys ect. I use Macrium Reflect to create my images and I have never had one problem restoring those images. I have used those images to restore my PC to a brand new HDD before. So I might upgrade to W10. Check it out. It's free. Create a image of the W10 OS. Then use Macrium Reflect to restore my latest image of W7 if I don't like W10. Is there any thing wrong with this theory fellow Geeks. Does this sound like a plan that will work?? Surely you can down grade after up grading to W10.

That plan may be right for you, only you can decide for yourself. Personally, I have run Win 10 Tech Preview builds since they first came available so I've had months to play with Win 10 and I know I don't want to bother upgrading any of my machines.

Some say that once you use your copy of Win 7 to upgrade to Win 10, that license is now a Win 10 license and you can't go back. Others say no, you have downgrade rights so you can go back to Win 7. If I were you, I would find out the definitive answer before upgrading if you think you may want to go back to Win 7.

I would suggest that you create a new thread to discuss upgrading to Win 10 rather than keeping it in this thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom