New CPU needed

players54

Solid State Member
Hey Everybody.

I'm wondering if you can help me, I need some information.
So the other week I bought a "new" mobo of my friend, quite cheap as he just didnt want the hassle of selling it, so I took it off his hands. He sold it with the mobo, processor which was cool.
I was on a very old mobo before but once I swapped it out I was very impressed, my GPU can run it no problem.
These are the specs.
(Bearing in mind I know its not exactly new but I don't have a lot of money to buy new parts)
Motherboard - A760G M2+
Processor - AMD Athlon 7850 dual core

Now it is a lot better than my old motherboard, but I was wondering is there any chance I could buy a quad core for it? is there any supported on this particular model, and if so, can anybody suggest one. I want it to be "best back for the buck"
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

A simple search answered your question. :)

A760G M2+ :: Motherboard :: BIOSTAR

Thanks for the reply
And thanks for the find
But I'm not amazing at computer parts, I'm more of a when its on I know what to do guy. I mean I know the basics of building and swapping components
but I don't know the pros and cons of each component. Which one would you recommend? if you don't mind me asking.

Any of those processors would be good I use the phenom II myself and have it in two builds one on an Asus motherboard and the other on am MSI with no problems. Fairly fast start up too and no errors from the processor.

Another thing to keep in mind is the BIOS version of the board. That will tell you what CPU it'll support as it is.

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz AM3 6MB Quad Core 95W C3 HDX955WFK4DGM Ship from UK | eBay

Board recommends using 95W CPUs, this fits the bill. No point going for anything overclocking oriented since I highly doubt that board would be much cop for overclocking

Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but AM2+ and AM3 are cross compatible are they not?

No they aren't cross compatible

AM3+ is a modification of the AM3 socket. It has one additional pin for new Bulldozer-based AM3+ processors and is backwards-compatible with AM3 processors. It broke backwards-compatibility with AM2 and AM2+ processors because it does not support DDR2 memory. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3#Compatibility

I Know AM3+ is not compatible with AM2 or AM2+, but I thought that AM3 (not AM3+) was also compatible with AM2+? The wording of the article there suggest that AM3 is backwards compatible but AM3+ is not? that Phenom is one of the older school AM3 (not plus) chips.

Hi everyone thanks for replies
I need a clear answer though, as I'm not too sure on compatibility between am2+ and am3
if it is then awesome because I will get the one recommended to me, but would this be a problem?

Back
Top Bottom