128 gb Micro SD card, at this price? surely not

emperor76

In Runtime
Hi all, I have for some time now been considering getting a 128gb Micro SD card for my phone as I have a lot of music, but I'm waiting for it to come down as I'd rather spend money upgrading my computer, as far as I could see it would cost me about £70 for a good one, I just found this: https://www.wish.com/c/53c3e007bc06ac0efc83e08e, now the price of £5 immediately started alarm bells ringing, then there was this "High Storage Capacity (up to 128gb/64gb)", and finally a comment from a buyer saying it broke in 20 minutes, yet most of the ratings seem to be high, am I right to be worried?

You're right to be worried, there is no way this is a 64 or 128GB card. It's probably 1 1GB card which has been modified to display as 128GB. I would guess that t won't work with your data and will corrupt it or at best you'll end up with a card that displays that it can store 128GB, but will only store 1GB (or whatever the real capacity is) without falling over.

I would guess that the person who broke the card in 20 minutes put more than the *real* capacity of the card.

TL;DR.... Avoid it.

EDIT: Sandisk's 128GB card is £85 from Amazon, that's more of a price that I'd expect!

Yup, many people have been scammed by sellers offering high capacity SD cards at ridiculously low prices. If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I've seen a couple go on Ebay auctions for next to nothing as well, I'm always pretty skeptical when it says storage "up to", or some people putting *notes in the description saying actual size may be from 4gb to 128gb, it just sounds awfully like a disclaimer of some sort, either it is 128gb or it isn't, even so, I was tempted, if a little naive, so I thought I'd come and ask here knowing there's a good chance someone on here will know for sure, thanks again for ensuring I'm not ripped off!

Back
Top Bottom