PC Issue

Equinoxinator

Solid State Member
I recently built a PC and tonight I had to restart it. When it booted up, my background was black, and the text on webpages looked altered. I read online about it being because of an installed driver (I have a Windows 8 and it is set to automatically update) but as of right now I am trying to see if the installed driver was the issue. Does anyone know exactly what this is? I'll make an update tomorrow sometime if anyone responds.

Don't know what that could be, but a system restore would properly fix it.
If you don't know how to do that, (which i am sure you do)
Type in "rstrui.exe" in start (or cmd) and hit enter. Choose a restore point before it happened. Let it work and Done.

If you don't know how to do that, (which i am sure you do)
Type in "rstrui.exe" in start (or cmd) and hit enter. Choose a restore point before it happened. Let it work and Done.

Wouldn't that wipe the whole machine? I don't want to do that. I think I'll try to remove updates before I do that.

Wouldn't that wipe the whole machine? I don't want to do that. I think I'll try to remove updates before I do that.

No. System restore only brings your computer BACK to the point that you choose. So when doing system restore, you choose to which day you want to restore it too. In your case you probably want to restore it too 3/14. This will only uninstall any updates that have been done in that time. P.S, should've gotten win 7 ;) Regarding the black screen, first go to check teh graphics settings, make sure your graphics drivers are installed, and on your desktop, check it in the control pannel, make sure you have everything set up the way it needs to be. ( Right click on desktop -> screen resolution ).

No. System restore only brings your computer BACK to the point that you choose. So when doing system restore, you choose to which day you want to restore it too. In your case you probably want to restore it too 3/14. This will only uninstall any updates that have been done in that time. P.S, should've gotten win 7 ;) Regarding the black screen, first go to check teh graphics settings, make sure your graphics drivers are installed, and on your desktop, check it in the control pannel, make sure you have everything set up the way it needs to be. ( Right click on desktop -> screen resolution ).

Thank you. I will try that later today if I have time. It may be until tomorrow afternoon though.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Did you activate windows?

What do you mean?

The windows background will go black if windows has not been activated.

When you build a PC, you normally have to put in a product key of some description. After installation is complete (certainly with Windows 7 anyway) you often have to perform activation. This is normally done automatically when you get an internet connection, but sometimes it fails and you have to do it manually.

See the below link for a guide!

How To Activate Windows 8 After An Installation Or Hardware Upgrade

The windows background will go black if windows has not been activated.

When you build a PC, you normally have to put in a product key of some description. After installation is complete (certainly with Windows 7 anyway) you often have to perform activation. This is normally done automatically when you get an internet connection, but sometimes it fails and you have to do it manually.

See the below link for a guide!

How To Activate Windows 8 After An Installation Or Hardware Upgrade

I remember putting in an activation code, but I'll look into it. Thank you.

I recently built a PC and tonight I had to restart it.

I'm going to assume you're following along, but please ask any questions.

When it booted up, my background was black, and the text on webpages looked altered.

This screams video card/driver issue. Also could be baseboard drivers.

Press [Windows]+X and press M (Device Manager)

Do any of them show a yellow triangle? Under Display adapters, is your card listed or a generic display?

If so (and even if not), just go to AMD or NVIDIA and download the latest drivers. Power off the machine and unplug it. Press the power button a few times to ensure the capacitors drain and the RAM gets cleared. Plug it back in and power back up. Install the video drivers and reboot once again.

A System Restore might remove newly installed drivers, but it might not re-install the previous drivers. You typically have to perform a "Driver Roll-back" for that.

Did you activate windows? [...] The windows background will go black if windows has not been activated.

He would also be getting alerts that he may be a victim of counterfeiting.

Post Script (P.S.)
[Explanation]
P.S, should've gotten win 7 ;)
[AnotherExplanation]

^ goes after (post) everything you have to say (script). But don't quote me ;)

Post Post Script (P.P.S.)
pwnd :invisibleflowers:

Back
Top Bottom