Wireless key logging question

Gmcsierra

In Runtime
I saw on the news that people were hacking wireless keyboards. What kind of range or distance does the hacker have to be from the computer for them to hack it?

Same range as the wireless keyboard I would think, though on the 2.4GHz band, people fly remote control planes on it until they can't even see them, so the potential range is huge!

I'd have thought, dependent on the keyboard, about 10 metres or thereabouts though.

Bear in mind that the hacker doesn't have to be next to you though, it's only a device that has to be near to you, I'm sure somebody created a device that works as a phone charger, but also logs the keystrokes!

I don't want to scare you though, I'm sure these keyloggers only affected a certain timeperiod of keyboards anyway from memory, best to google your specific one!

Wireless keyboard and mouse don't co exist in the same power band as RC radios. I can go a couple of miles with my Spektrum DX9 transmitter and a matched full range receiver.

Wireless keyboard and mouse use short range Bluetooth which is about 30 feet. Walls in the way can reduce that even further.

There is no comparison to the two.

Wireless keyboard and mouse don't co exist in the same power band as RC radios. I can go a couple of miles with my Spektrum DX9 transmitter and a matched full range receiver.

Wireless keyboard and mouse use short range Bluetooth which is about 30 feet. Walls in the way can reduce that even further.

What about the distance for USB wireless keyboard not bluetooth.

How ever you slice or dice it, the range is intentionally small. This is to keep the wireless keyboard/mouse from interfering with other wireless devices including your WiFi.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Wireless-Desktop-MK250-Keyboard/dp/B003ZXMV0G

Not all wireless keyboards and mice use bluetooth :flowers:

But the power output is still limited to reduce the range. More than likely what he read was just a proof of concept test.

Back
Top Bottom