Windows Live Mail

bluenose1940

In Runtime
In addition to my @gmail account I also use Windows Live Mail.

The screen in Windows Live Mail is very basic and I don't have much in the way of menus or settings.

For intance, i want to set it up so that I can tell when a recipient has opened and read an email that I have sent to them.

Is this possible and where do I find all of the options, I have been into the 'options' that I can find but they don't amount to much.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

When you are composing a message, there is a checkbox on the ribbon at the top labeled "Read receipt". Check that box to receive an acknowledgement when the recipient opens the message.

Attachments

• receipt.jpg
    receipt.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Please keep in mind that there are quite a few services which do not support "Report on Opening" features, so even following the advice above may not give you decent results.

Dont get me wrong, Strollins advice is entirely correct. That IS how it is done. I am just saying that it may not work for you depending on the service that the person that you are sending the email to uses.
(Personally, I am surprised that any service is willing to support that...)

Thank you strollin and Draygoes for your input.

As I mentioned in my original post, when I have Live Mail open to read or compose emails, it really is very basic, there are no 'Toolbars/Menus' visible at all, nothing to even change the font being used. I am wondering if it is even set up properly.

Please keep in mind that there are quite a few services which do not support "Report on Opening" features, so even following the advice above may not give you decent results.

Dont get me wrong, Strollins advice is entirely correct. That IS how it is done. I am just saying that it may not work for you depending on the service that the person that you are sending the email to uses.
(Personally, I am surprised that any service is willing to support that...)

Further to this it is up to the recipient to acknowledge your read request, I always have a habit of not doing this for privacy reasons so the sender never knows if I have ever read their messages.;)

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Thank you strollin and Draygoes for your input.

As I mentioned in my original post, when I have Live Mail open to read or compose emails, it really is very basic, there are no 'Toolbars/Menus' visible at all, nothing to even change the font being used. I am wondering if it is even set up properly.

Yours sounds like it is different to mine, I have menus & tool bars.

Further to this it is up to the recipient to acknowledge your read request, I always have a habit of not doing this for privacy reasons so the sender never knows if I have ever read their messages.;)

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Yours sounds like it is different to mine, I have menus & tool bars.

All I have on mine is a broad blue band down the left hand side which shows an envelope, a person and a flag, the rest of the screen just shows all of the mails received. I have no menus nor toolbars of any description.
Is it possible that I need to download it again or is it already part of the Windows 8 installation disk?

Can you post a screenshot of how it looks when composing a message? Does it look like this?

lm.jpg

If so, do you have the little arrowhead I circled in the upper right? Click on that arrowhead to expand the ribbon.

Hello strollin,
No absolutely nothing like that at all.
If I knew how to post a screen shot I would do it but I'm afraid that I don't. Is it very easy, are you able to tell me how to do it?

Thanks for all your efforts.

1. Press PrtScrn to take screenshot and copy to clipboard
  2. Open Windows Paint
  3. Click on Paste button. Sceenshot should appear. Edit as desired then save.

Here's a link to the forum's FAQ on how to add images to posts: Computer Forums - FAQ: Reading and Posting Messages

Hello again strollin, I have just managed to sort out my problem. I have just downloaded 'Essentials' and part of it is Live mail. I don't know what I had before but I have now got the menus etc just like in your earlier illustration.

Thank you for your patience and help. Now sorted.

Back
Top Bottom