Update drivers on my PC ?

Myron1

Baseband Member
I keep getting a message on my new HP PC advising me to Update Drivers. I am very hesitant to do so as a while back I updated drivers on a different PC and it screwed-up my PC performance. I saw only very large texts, the monitor screen showed incorrect colors and the cursor froze. My new PC uses Windows 8 OS. What would be the advantage, if any, to update drivers? Thanks for advice. Should I ignore update advisories? They are tempting.

if your updating make sure you can roll back.....new drivers can cause a problem - if it was my choice i would just ignore and disable this notification

Thanks for input. I will not update drivers. This HP laptop has given me enough problems since Day 1.

It's always recommended to be up to date with latest drivers.
The hole idea with updates are to reduce problems, not create them.
They can fix problems and add new features.
They are all tested before they are released to make sure they work properly.
Sure sometimes there are mistakes made that makes them unstable, but that's rare.
So go ahead and update.

I keep getting a message on my new HP PC advising me to Update Drivers. I am very hesitant to do so as a while back I updated drivers on a different PC and it screwed-up my PC performance. I saw only very large texts, the monitor screen showed incorrect colors and the cursor froze. My new PC uses Windows 8 OS. What would be the advantage, if any, to update drivers? Thanks for advice. Should I ignore update advisories? They are tempting.

IMHO as long as everything is working alright then you don't need to update your drivers. If an issue arrises and you are having problems with a certain driver....Then go ahead and update that driver.

Also if you do decide to update all your drivers, make sure you make a restore point before doing so...Just in case.

Also if you do decide to update all your drivers, make sure you make a restore point before doing so...Just in case.
You beat me to it.

New drivers are supposed to address bugs and add new functionality. This not always the case, of course, but it is the general idea.

Some drivers, like those for your graphics, are very welcome and are a very good idea to update. I tend to update any drivers I find to be out of date but I am a bit of a geek.

Whilst on the topic of drivers don't fall for the nefarious driver scanners that come hidden away with other software. They will try to be very persuasive with logos displaying they are Microsoft Certified but I wouldn't trust them. Example below.

driverfinder1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom