Cannot Get Wi-Fi

Myron1

Baseband Member
I got a HP notebook HP-2000 to replace my Acer notebook. The Acer used Optimum Wi-Fi in my house showing 5 bars at all times. After connecting my new HP notebook, I got a weaker signal with only 4 bars illuminated. I was able to get on-line, but the signal always fades so I lose my internet connection which returns at a later time. What is the problem? Why is the signal fading? The Router is only 6 feet away from the notebook. Thanks for any help.

A few questions:
1. Where do you live? (e.g. apartment, condo, home, etc)
(This question seems silly, but "chatter" sometimes plays a role in signal loss)
2. What is "Optimum Wi-Fi?" I'm assuming that's Optimum's (now charter?) proprietary software package?
3. Are you at all familiar with configuring your wireless access point?

Have you used the wifi with any other router or wifi? If so, does the signal also fade when connected to those other wifi sources? If it fades regardless of which wifi source it's connected to, I would contact HP tech support.

Since the router is only 6 feet away, I might be tempted to just use a wired connection.

Thanks for your reply. The router worked perfectly with the former laptop from Acer; never lost the signal. I am using a wired connection using an Ethernet cable from my router right now so I can be on-line right now. I tried calling HP but after being put on-hold for 20 minutes, I was told that there is a fee for their assistance with a rep and must sign-up for about $40/month. I refused. The HP works fine using the Ethernet cable; no signal loss but it's a pain in the a-- as I nearly tripped over the thick wire. I am paying Optimum, a cable company, for wireless service as well. I live in an apartment.

I would go to HP Driver support page and download the Network adapter drivers and re-install them and see if that takes care of the Wifi problem.

Also I would download any Wifi drivers they may have, and install those too.

Thanks for your reply. The router worked perfectly with the former laptop from Acer; never lost the signal. I am using a wired connection using an Ethernet cable from my router right now so I can be on-line right now. I tried calling HP but after being put on-hold for 20 minutes, I was told that there is a fee for their assistance with a rep and must sign-up for about $40/month. I refused. The HP works fine using the Ethernet cable; no signal loss but it's a pain in the a-- as I nearly tripped over the thick wire. I am paying Optimum, a cable company, for wireless service as well. I live in an apartment.
You still didn't answer whether or not the HP works well with other wifi sources. You should try updating drivers and such as others have suggested but it may be that the wifi hardware in the HP is broken. I was assuming this is a new laptop and would be covered under warranty but based on your experience with HP it seems it isn't.

You may want to try an external USB wifi adapter. You can find them at very reasonable prices. Maybe a friend has one you could borrow to try but, if not, you could buy one and try it. If it doesnt solve your problem then return it.

Back
Top Bottom