Problem with boot up

bluenose1940

In Runtime
I recently installed an SSD and everything is working fine with one exception.

On a couple of occasions when I have sat at my pc and clicked the mouse to get things cracking, a message has appeared that says please restart the computer to install the downloaded updates (or words to that effect). Now this is where the problem occurs, when I reboot the pc I end up with a flashing curser in the top left hand corner of the (black) screen and, the only way out of this is to switch off at the wall, switch on again and then press F12 to get at the boot options and when doing this I find that the boot up has moved from my SSD and I then have to choose it again by pressing enter and all is OK again.

Does anyone know why this is happening please band how I can stop it.

Many thanks.

So it doesn't happen if you restart on your own?

Do you know what program that want to update?
It seems to be following an automatic Windows update. Before replying to your post I decided to do a 'restart' and immediately got a message that said do not turn off your pc Windows is configuring your pc (or words to that effect)

When I switched the pc back on it went to the flashing curser in the top left corner of a black screen. I then switched off at the wall and then on again, pressed F12 for the boot options and noticed that it had reverted to the following - AH CI:pO-WDC WD1001FAES - 75W7AO, this is totally meaningless to me. This entry by the way is at the top of the list, whereas my new SSD is at position 3 in the list, even after my DVD I think.
I immediately chose my new SSD, pressed enter and away we went, back into Windows.

Thanks for trying to help again.

The "WDC WD1001FAES - 75W7AO" is your western digital harddrive.

In the bios the boot priority is properly set to the western digital harddrive as the first boot up.
so when the computer tries to boot from it the black screen appears.
Go to the bios (setup) and set the SSD as first boot.

If it all is somehow the updates fault, you can deactivate the specific update.

Last edited:
The "WDC WD1001FAES - 75W7AO" is your western digital harddrive.

In the bios the boot priority is properly set to the western digital harddrive as the first boot up.
so when the computer tries to boot from it the black screen appears.
Go to the bios (setup) and set the SSD as first boot.

If it all is somehow the updates fault, you can deactivate the specific update.
Hello again BikerEcho, The Western Digital Hard Drive was where the O/S was when I first got the pc. I have recently installed the SSD and have put the O/S on there. I thought that when I go into the BIOS and choose the SSD, then that will always be the chosen boot up option until I change it again. Do I need to do something else to make the choice more permanent?

I have my pc set to Windows automatic updates.

I am running Windows 8.1 pro at the moment. I changed over from Windows 7 Ultimate when I fitted the SSD

Thanks again for all the help.

The boot options menu has nothing to do with the BIOS.
you have to set the boot priority for the SSD to be first.
It properly is. plz check again.

If it is how it should be, deactivate the update that messes the system up.
Do you know how to do that?

The boot options menu has nothing to do with the BIOS.
you have to set the boot priority for the SSD to be first.
It properly is. plz check again.

If it is how it should be, deactivate the update that messes the system up.
Do you know how to do that?
Hi again, have been into 'setup' and have now set the SSD to be the first drive and everything is fine.

Thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom