Is this possable to do while on vacation?

tewitt1949

Baseband Member
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area. Is there a better area?

I am going on vacation/camping to the smoky mountains in a couple weeks. I've done a google search and there are many sites for places to go, things to do, places of interest, maps, driving instructions etc. Many of these site would be very handy using a laptop in the car while traveling. But since I wouldn't have wifi access that would be hard to do.

I know certain cell phones can be used as a router, but ours isn't capable of doing that.

What I would like to do is before we leave for vacation and hooked to the internet is to copy certain websites/with links on my laptop so we can access these sites for driving instructions, maps to certain water falls, etc while on the road. Maps show where each water fall is at with instructions how to get there.

Is this possible or is this idea dumb?

You could buy a 3G USB Dongle which will you to use internet on your laptop. Check your phone provide to see if they offer them..

BK-123.... Good idea, but from what I've heard from friends that have been down there, once you get in the mountains/valleys, cell phone service don't work very good at all. Most areas are dead spots.

To answer your question, yes, maybe. Some websites are self-contained so that you could download the whole site and have all (or at least most) of the links work provided they are "local" links (within the sites folder hierarchy). However, external links that reference another site would not work. It will be good only for static content such as a link that opens an image of a map stored on your laptop. Anything that has code behind it most likely will not work.

As far as having an internet connection while traveling, even if your phone can't be used as a router (I assume you mean hotspot here) it may still be able to be used for internet access using a USB cable to tether the phone to the laptop. You will still have the issue of places where there is no cell signal but when you do have a cell signal you'll have an internet connection.

If interested in this, post back with your cell phone model and which cellular carrier you're with and I will attempt to find out if you can/cannot doe this.

If you're not looking for GPS functionality and just want to look at maps or written directions, why not print the screens to PDF (chrome has the option built in) then you can just pull up the PDFs when you need the info.

Back
Top Bottom