Command prompt says 'edit' is an invalid command

Jake22

Baseband Member
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit. When I run command prompt (as an administrator) and type "edit autoexec.bat", I get a message saying " 'Edit' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". What am I doing wrong? I ran a command called "sfc /scannow" to make sure I don't have any corrupt system files and it didn't find anything wrong. I tried it again and it still says it's an invalid command. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There is no edit command in Windows unless you install a program called edit, most Windows users use notepad to edit text files. There's also no autoexec.bat file to edit in Win 7.

That guy really shouldn't be making those tutorials because it's obvious that he doesn't know that much about using the command prompt.

For instance, when he is in the C:\users\dima folder and wants to go to the folder he created called x, he first enters cd\ to return to the root folder (he refers to it as the C: drive but it's actually the root folder of the C: drive) then enters cd x to go to the x folder. He doesn't even know enough that he can go directly to the x folder from the C:\users\dima folder by simply entering cd \x. It's not necessary to first go to the root folder but that's the way he shows how to do it.

He is running Win 7 but only the 32-bit version of Win 7 includes the DOS editor, the 64-bit version doesn't. You can follow his tutorial if you substitute notepad for edit in his example.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom