Backups/Copies

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Is it possible to copy the contents of an external hard drive into a partition on the computers internal hard drive?

I was hoping to be able to get an exact copy rather than just a backup, i.e. all of the files and folders as they are shown when looking at the original drive.

If only a backup is possible I will have to run with that.

Next question.....what is the best way to do it. I have just installed Windows 8.1, is there a facility within that will do what I want?

Thanks for any help.

Yes you can simply press the CTRL + A buttons at the same time which will select all items then pressing CTRL + V buttons at the same time will paste them where you would like to store them.

The way i backup my stuff is via a batch job.
It will look at my folder on the D drive and check what files are new and what files have been edited sense the last backup that is stored on my external harddrive.

I use the code for all the folders i need to backup:
Code:
 xcopy D:\Video\*.* E:\Backup\Video /c /s /r /d /y /i /h /f

If space is an issue you are better of instilling a backup software that compresses and encrypt the files to save space and adds better security.

Actually it's in general better with backup software. My way is just faster and don't rely on any 3-party apps. that's it.

Last edited:
To copy contents from different Hard drives, there are two approaches here: Imaging and cloning. Imaging backs up everything on your hard drive to a single, very large file on a separate piece of media--usually an external hard drive. Cloning directly copies the contents of one drive onto another

ohh, that's what he wanted. in that case, i can recommend acronis.
It can both make images and cloning.

To copy contents from different Hard drives, there are two approaches here: Imaging and cloning. Imaging backs up everything on your hard drive to a single, very large file on a separate piece of media--usually an external hard drive. Cloning directly copies the contents of one drive onto another

hiya asdhurt, You'll have to be patient with me here as I am a grey haired old codger and not overly brill on the old pc. Am I right in thinking that if I 'image' the contents of 'D' drive to 'E' drive, all that I will see when I go into 'E' drive is just one very large file which is effectively the 'backup' of everything that is on my 'D' drive.

If I decide to 'clone' my 'D' drive instead, when I then go into 'E' will I see exactly what is in 'D', i.e. all of the directories/sub directories, files and folders. If cloning gives me this, then this is what I am looking to achieve and so my next question is, how do I do it?

Thanks to all who are trying to help me, tis much appreciated.

hiya asdhurt, You'll have to be patient with me here as I am a grey haired old codger and not overly brill on the old pc. Am I right in thinking that if I 'image' the contents of 'D' drive to 'E' drive, all that I will see when I go into 'E' drive is just one very large file which is effectively the 'backup' of everything that is on my 'D' drive.

If I decide to 'clone' my 'D' drive instead, when I then go into 'E' will I see exactly what is in 'D', i.e. all of the directories/sub directories, files and folders. If cloning gives me this, then this is what I am looking to achieve and so my next question is, how do I do it?

Thanks to all who are trying to help me, tis much appreciated.

You are correct. That's how you will see the E drive with the 2 different methods. Note that making an Image will save space.

Macrium Reflect Free Edition should do the trick for you. I have not tried it my self, but it should be a good free cloning tool.
Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

I've been following and reading about cloning, backups, etc and I have a question. If I'm not worried about using space on the external drive, and say my internal hard drive in my pc dies. Which is better to get the pc up and running again.

I have a HP laptop with 8.1 and the pc don't boot from the cd so accronis won't work (from what I've been told).

My main issue/concern is if the hard drive dies or the pc won't boot up.

Without an operating system on the pc, I don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom