Internet Issues

Craig Prince

In Runtime
Hey everyone, I'm having some internet issues. Let's start with the household. We have 3 Desktops, 1 Laptop a Wii U and an Xbox 360 all using the internet. All of them are using wireless. The issue is this morning, the Wii U, Xbox 360 and Laptop all lost connection to the internet. However none of the Desktops did.

When trying to reconnect it says the Wifi network is out of range. Even though their only a few feet from the router. I don't know much about internet, (Much more of a nerd about hardware.) however this just doesn't make any since. Why would the Desktops not lose connection, but everything else did?

Any help on the situation would be much appreciated. :)

What kind of device is providing the Wireless? For me, this is a common problem on ISP modems that also serve wireless.

What's your setup?

It's a ActionTech 802.11n. Provided by our ISP Centurylink. It's a very recent one as well, our old one got struck by lightning a couple of months ago.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 AM ----------

I have to go to work, so I will talk to you later. Bye, and have a great day! :)

That's your problem.

I have the same modem, and the same problem. I have a killer setup but can't hook any of it up (just moved into new house and need to run wiring). Get a dedicated Wireless router, these work wonders. Try to stay away from NetGear crap. Linksys was bought out by Cisco and has become their 'bargain' brand. Great products.

Then, you just log into the CL modem and disable the WiFi on it, and use the Cisco/Linksys device to handle all the Wireless comm.

Thanks a lot iPwn! I was going to order a keyboard, mouse and headset tomorrow. But I'll get the router you recommended instead of a keyboard. I have a question though, is this router the best deal, or not? I mean I see a lot of $100 plus routers, but I don't know if they're that much better or not.

I have a question though, is this router the best deal, or not?

That I can't answer with any amount of confidence. Best deal? Probably not... All depends on what you're wanting to do with your network (e.g. add network shares, multiple SSIDs, etc). The best thing you can do is go to Newegg or Amazon and start reading customer reviews in the price range you're wanting to stay. I'm sure others here have some good advice on reliable hardware that isn't overly expensive.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't do that much stuff but watch Youtube videos, Twitch Livestreams, and just internet browsing. However once I build my PC I'm going to get into online gaming, and maybe even livestream. :D

Back
Top Bottom