Home server OS

I see... I'll try the with windows server 2008. And I have heard that there is a addition called windows storage server. Which would be better? storage server or simple server?

It appears that you aren't really listening to any suggestions we are giving and instead already have your mind made up. You just keep saying the same thing over and over in your posts so here's my last comments.

As I said before, we don't support torrenting here. Please stop referencing it.

As I said before, you don't need Windows Server 2008. That is going to come with way too many features. If you are insisting on server software use FreeNAS.

....And easy access via lan/wifi. I think like entering ip address and accessing folder like window. easy copy paste.
This can be done on any version of Windows.

It appears that you aren't really listening to any suggestions we are giving and instead already have your mind made up. You just keep saying the same thing over and over in your posts so here's my last comments.

As I said before, we don't support torrenting here. Please stop referencing it.

As I said before, you don't need Windows Server 2008. That is going to come with way too many features. If you are insisting on server software use FreeNAS.

This can be done on any version of Windows.

This. FreeNAS is good for file sharing and has a good web interface. Like Jmac said Server 2008 is overkill and you only want to share files nothing fancy like running a full blown server and you'd need a licence key to activate it with if you don't already have one. If you decide to go with FreeNAS take a look at their wiki Freenas which has some really usefully advice on installing it and managing it.

Like the others keep saying, if you are only going to use it as a file server. You can just use windows 7 like said before. You really wouldnt gain anything if that is all you are planning on doing. All you have to do to make it a file server on Win 7 is share the folder you want and thats it.

As for the raid, do you have a built in RAID controller or will you be buying one? Also, are you going to put the OS on the RAID or separate the OS from the RAID Array. For example, put the OS on one HDD and then use other HDD's for your RAID/File server?

I agree you are not going to be doing web hosting and just using it for home use. As to your hardware from what you tell me it is old and I would suggest Linux. I like PCLinuxOS myself and you can share files very easily with Linux using what they call Samba. Here is a link to their main page So cool ice cubes are jealous » PCLinuxOS . They have a forum there too where you can ask questions about the OS.

By the way I have seen some free software through synaptic that PCLinuxOs uses for for updates for web servers. So you could use it for servers too if you wanted too.

Back
Top Bottom