deteriorating overclock

jarlmaster

In Runtime
So I have had my system for 6 years and its running strong but some components are starting to show their age a bit. My cpu, an i7 920 D0 stepping chip used to be able to run at 4ghz 24/7 no sweat with relatively low voltages (around 1.28v). Suddenly I started having blue screens. A bump in voltage didn't help so I reduced the OC to 3.8ghz and reduced vcore a bit. That worked fine for a bit. Then it couldn't handle that so I bumped it down to 3.6ghz and reduced vcore. Now I am having issues again. I bumped the voltage to 1.27 to maintain this oc.

A few things: It's summer here in the US so ambient temps are already high. That coupled with the fact that its an old mobo and cpu. So I understand that it won't be able to OC as well as it used to. So my question is should I keep doing this step down OC business or just get a new comp before my cpu tanks (I'm worried it and the mobo are nearing their end). I really don't want to upgrade until my cpu starts bottlenecking me (it hasn't at all).

Ether bump up the cooling performance or bump down on the overclock.
I also had the I7-920 before my current. It hold op pretty well. No need to rush into upgrading, if you are not hardly CPU depended.

Well temps aren't bad. I think I'll just keep it at 3.6 and monitor load temps while gaming as the summer wears on (its going to get hotter because its still sort of spring but with global warming seasons are starting to blur). Anyway yeah. I'll just keep bumping down as things go on if that is necessary.

I would really start saving for a new machine.
I would also say that building one would be far more cost effective than buying pre-built.

So to start you off on your search (though you probably know what route you will take) I would say a 4760/4790 or an FX-8350. Couple that with an ASUS or Gigabyte board and 8GB RAM chuck in an SSD if you can afford it. I will add now that this is assuming you need a powerhouse judging by what you have.

Mossiac

I would really start saving for a new machine.
I would also say that building one would be far more cost effective than buying pre-built.

So to start you off on your search (though you probably know what route you will take) I would say a 4760/4790 or an FX-8350. Couple that with an ASUS or Gigabyte board and 8GB RAM chuck in an SSD if you can afford it. I will add now that this is assuming you need a powerhouse judging by what you have.

Mossiac

Much appreciated. I have the money for a new build in general but I don't want to spend said money. I'll only drop the cash if the computer really starts having major issues or completely breaks.

Well it does sound like you PC could brick at any time.

Also I meant 4670 and 4690.

Mossiac

Back
Top Bottom