Help me pick - WIN 7 or 8

I spent the weekend with Win 8. I admit defeat - I'm done. I gave it a good workout and tracked what I did.

Besides web surfing I used:

Sibelius
Wordperfect
Snagit
Photoimpact
excel
atlassian products
eSpatial
Acrobat
Google docs, mail, etc
A dos emulator (needed a commander keen fix)
I really tried, wanted to like it... it's so pretty but waaay too tabli-fied. Using multiple programs at the same time was unmanageable, tool bars went mia, labels are not present and many icons don't make visual sense, it's hard to tell what's clickable in the interface (especially for system settings, interactive vs static items were unclear; the user interface is decidedly unfriendly.

Back to Win 7.

Interesting. That's also why I tend to stay in the normal desktop mode. At least you gave it a shot :)

While a bit on the old side I did remember reading an article from PCWorld and afterwards thought no way I want this on my computer. Here is a link to the article 20 must-know Windows 8 tips and tricks | PCWorld .

I already had Windows 7 on anyway and really haven't had any big issues with Windows 7. Certainly none of the complaints I have heard about with Windows 8 and as a matter of fact too Market share of Windows 8 even shows how poor an operating system it is here is a link to the latest market share statistics I could find Operating system market share .

There already is talk right now that Microsoft is thinking about rolling out Windows 9 with a great deal of what Windows 8 has in it removed. People have been so frustrated by how you have to navigate through Windows 8. If you do use Windows 8 though I hope you download the classic shell it will give you at least some functionality back.

Wordperfect

That program still runs??
It's still for sale?!?!?!

supernatural-mouths-open.gif

I used Win8 here at work for a good 2 months. I just set it up so that I never had to leave desktop mode. Doing that, I got all the benefits, with none of the tabli-fied-ness (I love making new words).

I have Win 8.1.1 on a laptop, netbook and a tablet. On the laptop and netbook I use it strictly in desktop mode while with the tablet I use both desktop and Metro sides. Works for me.

That program still runs??

Yup - and there are current versions out there ;)

Try it sometime, you might be pleasantly surprised. It's more flexible that Word, doesn't make grammar assumptions based on a 6th grade comprehension level and has an awesome equation editor. Oh and.... the most commonly used menu items aren't hidden under a cartoon-y circle on the menu bar.

:whistling:

At the school i work at more and more students are switching to Google Drive.
When they switch, they never look back.... and it's free. it's crazy how much better Google Drive is.
The only reason Microsoft is still earning money on their silly office suit is because most people doesn't know better.

one complain i have... how the f*** do you make double underline. Students need that in math class when typing in the result. The teachers here accepts single line, But it's still a pain.

Back
Top Bottom