How to enable sound in monitor speakers?

postcd

Banned
Hello, i have monitor Benq E2220HD (E2220HD - LCD Monitors - Products | BenQ Middle East) which has in build speakers. From Windows Vista i cant listen any sound, because probably i have connected only DVI video signal cable to my graphic card <> monitor. So i want to ask which cable is needed to enable sound, are there more options.

I dont want to use Jack 3,5 audio cable for audio in/out because i already have this connected to my main ampliffier. I just want to use monitor sound without always reconnecting this audio cable from ampliffier to monitor, what are other option? monitor have more connectors like HDMI, D-SUB, USB, SPDIF

HDMI should do the trick
You might need to manually set the monitor as the primary speaker when using HDMI

Hello Postcd.

The best option you have is the HDMI connectivity. It is basically a DVI with audio-out technology, so don't worry about any signal quality loss.

Before that, we need to know what video device you are using!

Link us to it to check if it does support HDMI audio, or simply right click on the speakers' icon on the taskbar next to the clock and/or date, click on "playback devices" and check on the coming list if there is a "High Definition Audio Device" speakers available!

If it is there, you most likely do have a supporting video device!

If you have an HDMI cable ready at hand, go ahead and try after right clicking on that audio device we just found then choose "set as default".

If you don't have an HDMI cable available, link us to the video card you have to make sure it does really support HDMI audio, before wasting money on a cable!

Awaiting your feed back... :)

Thx,

this is my graphic card:
35436_3.jpg

and my mainboard:
gigabyte_gaep35ds4.jpg

so i dont have any HDMI :eek:

regarding cables, i tried to connect pc with monitor these ways:

- usb to usb - no soud
- usb to jack 3,5 - no sound
- spdif out to jack 3,5 - no sound

but i see music playback visualised on Taskbar / playback devices next to Standard speakers icon. :whistling:

PS i also have cinch type cables, and cinch to jack 3,5..

You're welcome!

Well, we need the full model name of the graphics card. Some cards support DHMI audio through DVI using a DVI to HDMI output conversion. Could be a dongle or just a cable!

Other choices will depend on the monitor's available audio input ports!

In worst cases, 3.5 jack will have to do!

I would not go with the first one you linked as that looks like it could end up blocking other ports/plugs on your motherboard. That second one would be perfect in my opinion.

Smart_Guy:
Graphic card is: Asus Radeon HD3650 Silent/HTDI/512M

aeLkT.jpg

Then you do have 5.1 HDMI audio out in the video card!

An adapter similar to this:
avocent-dvi-hdmi-adapter-lg.jpg

...should have been provided with the card! If not, then you'll have to get one and use an HDMI cable with it.

I believe "nezaponjeno" under "1- Digital Display Audio: AMD High Definition Device" means disconnected or not available? Once you connect the adapter with an HDMI cable it should come available. Then all you have to do is highlight it with a simple left click then click on the button "Natsavit Vytchozi" which I believe means "set default"!

Make the connections while the system is off first!

Reassure us what happens :)

Last edited:
Smart_Guy:
thx, tell me please why this DVI (PC) to HDMI (Monitor) connection should work while current DVI (PC) to DVI (Monitor) dont transfer any sound? How can it make a difference? THe sound would still have to go thru DVI so why should your DVI/HDMI convertor method work?

Back
Top Bottom