Remote control software suggestion

BikerEcho

Fully Optimized
Hey there gang.
When we had our own local server at work i used a program called Italc.
I used it to remote control the schools computer and shutdown computer that was left turned on when the school closed. (also to observe user behavior sometimes)
The way Italc worked was i had to install the server application on your server and a client software on all the computer i wanted to control. Simple and effective.

Now we don't have our own server anymore. It's a central server located in another city.... which i don't have access to.
So now i can't use the program anymore. I don't have the rights to gather the user info the program needs to work.
Do you guys know of any program that would work in my case of only having a local computer just like any other on the school?

The program must be able to start itself up in the background and automatically be ready to be controlled by a host.

Last edited:
I use DameWare Mini Remote Control. It's the best $99/year you'll spend. It installs locally on your computer, but does not require a separate client install on all the other computers. It installs the client while it's connecting to them. It also gives you the option to uninstall the client when you disconnect (useful for computers you only connect to once) or to leave the client. It also lets you create an alias for computers (so that one user who always needs your help can be quickly connected to). It really is an awesome program. I use it almost daily - I'm in a school setting as well.

Also, I don't think iTalc has to be on a server. I use it in labs and install the "server" part on the teacher workstation and then the clients on the student PCs. Couldn't you just put iTalc on your computer or an extra computer?

Also, I don't think iTalc has to be on a server. I use it in labs and install the "server" part on the teacher workstation and then the clients on the student PCs. Couldn't you just put iTalc on your computer or an extra computer?

I have tried. Didn't work.
I'll check out the program you suggested.
I hope they have a demo so i can see if it works like it should before i buy anything.

Thanks btw.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

It seems to cost 210$ now.

HOLY $#!+

I'm super pumped that I got it for $99. Not sure if it's worth $210.... Maybe contact them and see if there's an education discount?

I can't believe iTalc didn't work. I have a teacher who I know uses it everyday without issues having it installed on her computer and monitoring 15 or so lab computers.

I use DameWare Mini Remote Control.

+1
We that as well.

Can be very handy when you start making your own deployment files and getting into that (if you have the time + if you care to). Works great 'out-of-the-box' if not... A little configuration to do in AD but if you're a domain admin you'll have no issues.

Properly some security policies.
As far i remember the problem starts when choosing which user that have access to the client PC on the client software.
Maybe i should try again Monday.

I use team viewer it's good for a free program

That's true, but requires user interaction. They user has to give you the code from their PC. Great when it's your Mom and she really needs help, not so much when a student is playing games during class time and you want to take screenshots. Pretty sure this wouldn't work: "hey give me that code for teamviewer so I can watch what you're doing during classtime - but then go back to playing games, ok?"

That's true, but requires user interaction. They user has to give you the code from their PC. Great when it's your Mom and she really needs help, not so much when a student is playing games during class time and you want to take screenshots. Pretty sure this wouldn't work: "hey give me that code for teamviewer so I can watch what you're doing during classtime - but then go back to playing games, ok?"

That's not entirely true.
You can set Teamviewer up for "unattended access". I have my PC setup for it at home.

You install it and it runs as a service in the background, you can add your computers to an account as well so you don't have to remember the IDs of everybody's PC.

Alternatively AeroAdmin is good, the main reason I suggest this is because it is one of the few tools that I have used that is reliable and free for commercial use!

Back
Top Bottom