Using old WiFi router as an extender

niceties55

Daemon Poster
I got an old linksys 802.11g router for next to nothing and I was wondering if I could turn this thing into a wifi extender?

Now I live in a duplex type situation where I get Internet from my neighbor and we split the cost. And here is the deal.

He has a router set up and an extender to push it most of the way here, but there is one room I can't get the wifi so here is my question, how do I extend his extender using this old linksys router?

I know it will be much slower but I do not care! It is better to get slower Internet in my one room then none!!:)

Thanks a lot!

In my opinion I think it would be better if you could wire the new router to the old router. You would need to have each router on a different frequency with the same SSID. I am not an expert on networking but remember that advice from someone who posts on another forum. It really is the better way though but in your particular situation might not be possible at least not without your neighbors cooperation.

There are better routers though than that, that you and your neighbor might want to split the cost with and that will have better range. One that I read about on my other forum is the Linksys E3000 which you can buy refurbished for not too much and add DD-WRT software to for better security.

Last edited:
Gotcha, well my old router is not near me at the moment, I will find out in a couple of days!!

Back
Top Bottom